Chapter Sixteen

Four weeks later...

Kevin

"Raegan, sweetie. Get out of bed. I have to take you to school." I rubbed her back. She didn't move. "Rae.. Come on."

"Mm." She groaned. "Are we going to see grandpa?" She she's asked, turning over and looking at me.

I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"Why not? It's his birthday. He always seen me for mine."

I nodded as a tear ran down my face. "I'm so tired." I placed my elbows on the bed, my face in my hands as I shook my head.

"Go back to sleep, dad. We can wake up later and go see grandpa."

"You have to go to school, Rae. It's been the same thing constantly for three weeks now. Get up, I have to be at work right after I drop you off." I picked her up. "Here." I handed her the clothes I picked out for her. "Meet me downstairs in ten minutes." I told her. She nodded.

~~~

"Done. Where's momma?" Raegan asked.

"She's sleeping."

"She's always sleep." She pouted. "But she wrote down this note last night before she went to bed and she told me to give it to you."

She took it from me and stuffed it in her backpack without even looking at it. "I'm ready to go."

I took Raegan to school and then I went back by the house to check on Roniah. "Hey." I whispered, sitting down on her bed. She didn't remove the cover from over her head. I pulled the blanket from over her head. She cracked her eyes open and looked at me without turning her head. "Here." I handed her a pill and a glass of water. She took it from me and sat it down.

"What are you doing? Take it."

"No. I'm tired of taking them."

"When are you going back to work?" I asked her.

"Whenever I decide to go back."

"Hm." I stood up." Raegan told me to tell you she loves you."

She nodded.

"Do you want me to fix you some breakfast?"

"No, Kevin..... Can you just leave me alone?" She gritted.

"Look, I'm just trying to be here for you, and help y-"

"Okay... Just let me be."

I got up from the bed and began walking out. When I heard glass shatter. I turned around and Roniah was sitting up in the bed, face in hands. All of a sudden my phone rang. "Hello?" I answered.

"Is this Kevin Banks, father of Raegan Banks?" The lady asked me.

"Yes. Why? What's wrong?"

"Well, she just got finished throwing up everywhere, but before that she got into a little alte-"

"I'm on my way." I hung up and rushed out of the house. I just dropped her off half an hour ago. What can be so wrong?