Chapter 5

Scorpius

"Professor McGonagall!" we shouted at the bottom of the staircase that led up to the Headmaster's office.

I swore at the gargoyle that had guarded this staircase since Hogwarts was built. "Do I really need a password? I'm Head Boy!"

The gargoyle suddenly slid to the side and I stepped back in surprise.

McGonagall peered at us curiously from the bottom of the staircase. "My heavens, children! What on Earth is the matter?"

The first year girl we had rescued burst into tears and clung to Rose, who was looking very helpless. I chuckled.

"Well, Professor," Rose began. "We don't exactly know. That's why we're here." She hurried nervously through our story, describing the dog in slightly exaggerated detail.

I cleared my throat, interrupting her. "I went after it." Reaching into my robe, I pulled out a clump of black fur. "This is all I found."

She took the fur and rubbed it between her fingers. Her face lit up with worry, but quickly returned to normal. She put all her attention on the first year girl. "My dear, what is your name?" she asked, smiling.

"Nina."

"Iris, why don't you take Nina to Madam Pomfrey to make sure she's alright, and I will have a quick chat with our Head Boy and Girl?"

Iris nodded. "Of course, Professor." She took Nina's hand and ushered her away.

McGonagall hurried up the stairs, motioning for us to follow. "I should have known peace at Hogwarts would not last long."

"Do you know what the dog was, Professor?" I asked hesitantly.

"I'm afraid I might." She entered her office and hurried to a book shelf in the corner, where she ran her fingers along the dusty titles. "Here we are!" She pulled out a thick, leather book with huge, sprawling letters that read Magical Creatures Volume 2,574.

"Volume 2,574?" Rose whispered to me. "How many of those creatures do you think could kill us?"

I left the question unanswered.

McGonagall brought the book to her desk and set it down on top of all her work. She waved her wand over the cover and the book opened up to the somewhere in the middle.

I slowly wandered toward it, trying to make out the writing that was appearing on the page. There was a picture on the top of a dog that looked exactly like the one from earlier. It was pacing and sniffing the ground, it's red eyes glowing from underneath its shaggy fur.

"That's it!" Rose cried.

McGonagall took off her hat and leaned against her desk. Sighing, she sank into her chair. "I'm too old for this."

"The dog?" I pried.

Her gaze drifted to me. "It's called a black shuck. Not much is known about them, since they appear so rarely, but we do know that to whoever they appear to, they are an omen of..." She paused. "Death."

Rose gasped. "Are you saying we're going to die?"

"No. The dog is only an omen of death to the one is appears to."

Weasley's face got slightly less pale. "Oh." She didn't get it, but I did.

"Nina," I whispered.

The silence that followed was confirmation. Nina was going to die.

"No!" Rose cried. I could see she had tears pricking at the corners of her eyes and had the urge to comfort her, but shook it off.