Chapter 17

Evanee was setting up Evan's makeshift bed on the couch and grabbing him extra blankets and pillows.

After what he had told her, she didn't say anything. She was afraid of saying anything about that.

"You can sleep here for now. You can take anything from the fridge and I put an extra water bottle on the table just in case you get thirsty. Goodnight," Evanee said hurriedly and rushed up the stairs.

Too much was going on through her head and it would be safe to get a restful nights sleep before she made any huge decisions. Though, she knew one decision that she had to make in that moment.

The phone rang four times before Sydney picked up.

"Hello?" Her voice was croaky and quiet, as if she was just crying.

"Sydney," she was so unsure of what to say, "I didn't know he would do that. I didn't want him to do that."

"Evanee," Sydney replied back in relief. "It's fine. You don't have to explain anything. Evan told me how he felt before we broke up. We didn't fight. I'm just in a really bad place but I know this will do him good. Love him like you used to. He needs it."

It was quiet for a moment as Evanee tried to figure out what to say.

"I-I will. Do you want to hang out tomorrow? Just a girl's night in. I can invite Kelly and Berenice if they're free and we can stay in and eat ice cream and watch stupid movies. We're all here for you."

"I'd like that. Thanks for calling Evanee. I know this isn't your fault and I'm happy you're here for me. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? I need to rest."

The two of them said their goodbyes and hung up the phone. Evanee was just about to sleep when Craig came into the room.

"So, what happened downstairs?" He asked, a little too excitedly.

"We talked about Manhattan and he's staying the next few days because he broke up with Sydney."

Craig sat down. "You told him everything about Manhattan?"

"Everything and there's more than that, Craig. He left Sydney because of me."

He tried to keep his calm as much as he could. Craig would never have imagined that Evan would end his long term relationship over this or that he would be staying in their own place. It was unsettling, especially because Evan admitted he wanted her and Craig was trying to prevent that.

"You just get some rest now," Craig smiled, hugging her. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Craig."

Instead of going straight to bed, Craig went downstairs to find Evan on his phone, laying down on the couch with a blanket covering his lower body.

He didn't notice Craig standing at the bottom of the stairs so he jumped up when he began talking.

"Why are you really here? Jonathan lives closer to you and he has an extra room." Craig asked accusingly.

"I think you know exactly why I'm here," Evan responded nonchalantly, going back to his phone.

The brown haired boy walked over to the couch. "Then I don't want you here. We may be friends, Evan but when it comes to Evs, I'm not taking any chances. You hurt her once and I'm not letting you do it again."

Evan laughed. "Can't anyone see it from my perspective every once in a while. My girlfriend, who I loved so fucking much, told me she was leaving a day before her flight was. She was leaving for three years to go to college and she never told me. It didn't give me the right to cheat, but it god damn hurt. I'm going to fix that no matter what you may think."

"Didn't she already tell you what happened in Manhattan? She's still hurting. You haven't been loving with her since she came back. Sometimes I hear her crying early in the morning and when I check on her, she's crying in her sleep. Sometimes she goes out without telling me and comes back late at night. Other times she doesn't say anything and just locks herself in her room without any explanation. She's still hurting and you being here isn't helping her at all."

There had been too many times when Craig would see Evanee in her worst state. When she'd start screaming in the middle of the night and he had to wake her up by shaking her or when he had to shout her name several times just to catch her attention. It wasn't fair to her for Evan to come back or for Craig since he was the one doing his absolute best to make sure Evanee was okay.

"I still know her more than you will ever do. I may not know much about Manhattan, but I know a lot more than you do. Has she ever told you about her parents? The one thing she refuses to tell anyone. Has she even told you about her grandma? No. She doesn't trust you enough to. I'm here to help her too, so back off. I'm staying."

"And when this blows back up in your face, I hope that she finally sees how much of a selfish prick you really are."

---------------

Another short chapter but it's a double update since I haven't written in a while. I really used to be a Craig girl, but I'm kind of rooting for Evan now. Whoops. Vote and comment who you're rooting for

And as always I hope ye enjoyed(:)