Chapter 7

There was an abundance of sticky notes on the silver fridge as well as a scattered pile of unopened letters on the kitchen counter. Craig had been working nonstop for the past few days. He liked to call it 'Work week', where he tried to record and edit as much as he could for an entire week with the help of a fridge full of Monster energy drinks and blasting music.

It had been around two weeks since Evanee had come back to California and she hasn't contacted Gemma at all. She wanted to surprise her, but that idea seemed distant now. The young woman just wasn't excited anymore and she knew Gemma would get on her case for that. She believed that avoiding her aunt would be the best decision for now, just until that spark came back.

Though that spark had been missing for a while. She still felt happy, but it was never enough to forget the creeping loneliness. Craig was here now, but Evanee knew that it'd be the same as Massachusetts.

Craig was too busy with work and traveling, which would basically just leave Evanee alone.

"Craig, do you want avocados on your sandwich?" Evanee asked from the kitchen. Since Craig's setup was in the living room, they both became very accustomed to the combination of work and home.

"Yes, please."

The skype call had just started and he and his friends haven't started playing anything yet since they were setting a few things up, but they all heard the person on the other end.

Tyler laughed teasingly. "When did you get a girlfriend, Craig?"

"She's just a friend. She took the guest room."

"Wait, you mean she lives with you?" Evan asked. "How come we haven't heard of this girl?"

Throughout the conversation, David stayed silent. He knew that it was Evanee living with Craig, but the other guys didn't know that. He told Craig that it'd be best if they didn't find out either, but boys were persistent.

"Come on, Craig," Tyler drawled out into his mic. "Just give us her name or at least what she looks like."

Evanee walked to the computer with a sandwich and smoothie for Craig. "I'm going to go out for a while, okay? I'll be back around eight."

Completely forgetting his current conversation with his friends, Craig directed his attention to her. "Where are you going?"

"Job hunting. Got all my papers in my bag right now and I'm going to take a cab to a few hospitals. I'll call you later. Bye," she hugged him goodbye and Craig watched as she left the apartment complex doors.

His friends heard all of it and they each heard a familiar voice. None of them could exactly match the voice to a person though.

"Well, she sounds pretty," Jonathan joked. "Are you sure she's just a friend?"

"She's not doing so well right now. It'd be best if I wait until she gets her life back on track. She's out searching for a job right now."

"Oh, what a hero. Craig, her knight in shining armor is too much of a pussy to ask her out," Tyler said dramatically, his voice becoming more teasing as the sentence continued. "Let's just start playing."

"Agreed."

----------------------

It was much later than Evanee had anticipated when she got home. During her little cab ride to certain hospitals, she was able to set up appointments and interviews for a job application. Though, it took longer than expected and she came back at eleven.