❦ Chapter 9 ❦ || The Dude Isn't a Dude, Dude! (Part II )

Charlotte's P.O.V

I'm dead...

Those were my thoughts as I look at the Trio in front of me. Ethan on the left, Drew on the right, and Xavier in the middle.

This is going to be a long night.

*****

Hours ago...

"...And this, my students is all you need to know about the incredible word of art history," seconds after Ms Allis, our Art teacher, utter those words the bell rang signaling the end of the third period.

"So, any sign of them ?" Said Skyler as soon as she appeared suddenly next to me.

"Jesus, Sky. Stop doing that! You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry," she responded nonchalantly.

"No, I haven't seen them at all. Not in class or during homeroom. I think they ditched today because no one had seen them as well."

The both of us made our way to the lockers, to switch our books and get our lunches.

"Good, I hope they did. Man, I feel like one of those victims in an action movie; watching my back every time I walked the corridors, inspecting my desks before sitting on it, making sure that nothing was done inside my locker. Heck! I have to pack lunch from home afraid of getting food poisoned," she inspected her locker as soon as she opened it and took out her lunch bag to prove her point.

"More like a horror movie. But yeah, I get what you're saying. My senses are on high alert every day. For example; Friday night, mom broke a plate by accident while setting the table, I jumped by the sudden sound and ran as fast as my legs can carry out. Both of them looked at me weirdly, I had to say that I suddenly remember that I forgot to do something super important that couldn't wait until after dinner to be done. If my folks thoughts that I was weird before, I bet you that my level of weirdness quadruple after this week due to the amount of stupid things I've done."

After our little get together with the Trio on Friday, I didn't dare to set foot inside the market ever since. I was this close to wear a costume today to camouflage myself.

For four years, we've been avoiding the Populars like a plague. Making sure that we're invisible in their eyes. We are this close to graduate school and move on to college without a heap of trouble. That was the plan from the beginning, high school than college and I don't want it to change. But apparently, it won't be the case, thanks for our clumsiness.

"Well, whatever they're doing must've kept them real busy for them not to show up today, and hopefully they won't at all," she added.

"Who knows, maybe they forgot about the whole thing, and we could finally put everything behind us and move on," the moment the words were pulled out of my mouth, I regret saying them, because I was wrong, so very wrong.

As I was busy with my own things inside my looker. I was caught off guard by someone tapping me on the shoulder, which send me jumping a feet off the ground while letting out a squeal. Surprise by my sudden action, Skyler next to me did the same.

Turning around quickly, I came face to face with Gary, a nice junior in my journalism club. He stood there in front of us exhausted, his face a bright red, he was sweating a lot, worst than a pig. He puts both of his hands on his knees as huffed and puffed trying to steady his breathing.

"Hhh... Charlie... hhh... you... outside... hhh... they... waiting... hhh..." he tried to say.

"Okay, okay, Gary just breathe. Inhale than exhale, inhale than exhale. Just breathe," instructed Sky.