Chapter 25: Family Reunion

ZAYN

Luna's tight grip on my hand falls as we walk up the stone drive of her family home, strikingly blue eyes catching my attention as she stops walking. I turn to her.

"Aright, love?" I ask.

"I'm ridiculously happy that we're doing this, having dinner with my family." She smiles softly at me, her hand going to the nape of my neck comfortingly "Maybe we shouldn't tell them we're dating? It'll only confuse them."

I nod, somewhat relieved. I don't fancy having to work overtime to impress her family.

"I'll just smile and nod."

She puffs air out of her nose lightly, rolling her eyes quickly before pulling me in for a soft kiss. My hands grip her sides, the material white milkmaids dress she wears heaven against my fingertips. I refrain myself from lowering my hands to her rear, knowing the doorstep of her childhood home is not the place to get a boner.

She pulls away from me, but I tug the lantern sleeves of her dress, eyes happily looking at her on show collarbones.

"Come on, time to meet the Brady bunch."

I drop my hold on her, watching as she steps forward, fist forming a ball and rapping against the dark wood of her front door.

The familiar face of her elder brother comes into view. He looks considerably more like Lila than Luna does, he has the same curve of her lips, the same walnut coloured curls. The sibling's eyes meet and he immediately pulls her into his chest, hugging her tightly.

"Luna, what the hell are you doing here?" He breathes "I thought it... wasn't safe."

"It isn't, but it's been too long." Luna sighs "I'm checking things haven't gone up in flames since I left."

"Te extrañe." He whispers in her ear "Are you OK? Zoey said you're back at school."

"I'm fine. Good, even." Luna turns to me, gesturing for me to step forward, I do "Tiago, this is Zayn."

"The man you're staying with?" Tiago scowls at him "Who is supposedly keeping you safe? Zoey says she doesn't like him."

I resist rolling my eyes.

"He is keeping me safe. Zoey is biased." Luna explains, pressing her palm flat to his chest, keeping the two of us a safe distance apart "We can trust him."

"Fuck, are you here with him? Together?" Tiago looks over us and disgust fills his strong features.

I don't know what about us gave us away, maybe the love I feel is evident in my eyes as I watch her.

"No, it's not like that." Luna shakes her head, and I even though we agreed on it prior, it doesn't feel good to be denied by Luna so certainly "Look, Zayn has stuck his neck out to even get me here to see you guys, please, just play nice."

"I'm sorry if I don't want to put the kettle on for the man who took my sister from her home in the middle of the night." Tiago stands firm in his position, his disdain.

My hands remain pinned to my side, trying to not make us anymore obvious than we are, but um sure there is longing in my eyes as I address her "I'll go, Luna, I'll wait in the car. You have the evening with them, I'll be outside when you are ready."

"No." She almost breaks character, momentarily going for my hand but she manages to refrain, she turns back to her brother "He is my friend, he has taken care of me for months, all of us, sent you money, he... he is a friend to this family, in a bigger way than you know. Tiago, please, it's dad's birthday, I thought I'd make dinner."