27: I'm not a man

Start from the beginning

I sigh knowing he's right. I can't be mad. Although, I wish someone would have told me before I found out on my own. Well, it looks like I can't leave Death City after all. I smile slightly, but it was soon gone.

I sense a disturbance... Magic. Powerful magic. The presence of multiple weapon and meisters falling down. Something isn't right. Don't tell me Kid ignored what we told him to do! The stupid son of a reaper! He's going to get everyone killed! Connor senses it too and by his face, he doesn't like the sound of this.

'Morgana~' a voice rung in my head.  A voice so foul, so twisted, so familiar. So hideous, in a tone so calm it's revolting. 'Morgana, my dear. I hold something that's very precious to you. Oh! Did I say something? Sorry, I meant someone. If you don't surrender now, everyone here will die.' Rowena's voice echos in my head, followed by that laugh of pure amusement. 

Who could she be talking about? Kid? No... Oh for Death's sake, the idiotic reaper didn't listen after all! Now he's doomed everyone! 

"We're going back." I state heading back into the city. Connor doesn't argue. I don't think he would after everything that's just been said. He linked himself to me before Rowena spoke, so he knows everything.

I shuffle across the sand and take the first few steps back into the city. Connor tags along behind me. I refuse to let them die. I won't let that she-devil wreck everything. I will show her. Connor and I will defeat her. I expect nothing less. I can kill her. I won't hesitate. besides, not to brag or anything but, we're kind of experts at slaying witches. It's what Connor and I do best.

Next stop, the academy.

***

Okay, I expected the three meisters, Maka, Black*Star and Kid to be out with their weapons, but I did not see this. The teachers were kind of out of condition as well. Nope, it did not cross my mind that Professor Stein, Sid, Nygus and Spirit, as well as others to be knocked out of the game. She could have at least let me have some allies. Even Lord Death was out. Though, he doesn't look at all defeated... Aha! That's it! He's been put to sleep! I'm so smart.

"S-Sam?" 

I snap my head behind me. There he is. The Grim Reaper's son, Death The Kid. Looking better and better. He's sprawled along the stairs, with Patty and Liz below him by a few steps. All of them, battered and bruised. Beaten. Defeated.

Kid's eyes  were open the tiniest amount, and his teeth are clenched to try and suppress the  the grunts of pain slipping out every now and then when he tried to move. His body shook as he struggles to sit up and get into a crawling position. 

His usual slick outfit was ripped and torn. Kid's whole chest was exposed aside from one thread of material that connected the jacket. His sleeves are shredded and his arms cut and scratched to buggery. 

His legs were similar to his arms. Injured, marked, blood stained. 

His hair was all over the place instead of in its symmetrical strands, the white mixing with his raven tufts. His face looks so dirty, and there are drops of red here and then on his cheeks. He looks ruined. As does everyone else.

"Sam, is that you?"  Kid croaks. His voice is rugged ad barely audible. Its almost a whisper, and by the pained look on his face, I think its safe to assume that it took way too much effort to breathe those words out. It looks like it was painful to say the first word.

My heart begins to hurt as a pang hits me in the chest. Like something's swallowing me from the inside.

"You have to... To get out of here." Kid coughs, collapsing onto his stomach along the stairs. Another shoot to the heart. A pang of emotion. Sadness.

"I'll heal you." I decide aloud, already beginning to place my hands onto his back. The feeling of five big gashes strikes me by surprise. It sends another pang to my heart. Sorrow. 

"No!" he argues. Connor sits down on the steps just above Kid. He gives me the same look he gave the time I was going to save Kid the first time.

"I won't let you!" Kid cringes as the intensity of his voice shook his whole body and caused pain to spring through his body.

"Sam." Connor warns. Another one. Helpless. 

"I'm not dead." Kid reminds. "Just shaken up and... Uh... Injured. I'll recover eventually. If we make it out alive." He coughs a few times and groans. Each cough made him cringe in agony.

Pang. Fear.

"You two have to get out of here... now. Rowena is... Going to... Kill you." 

He turns himself over so he's now on his back. The gashes I saw before can't be making the position all that comfortable for him. He hisses a bit before breathing deeply to calm down.

I hate to admit this, I hate to even think this, but now that he's on his back, I can see his chest clearly. It sounds so pervy~

His stomach and chest held thin lines of cuts, marks, bruises, scratches, everything was visible. And his toned stomach, defined abs, and the crotch line... okay... REALLY not the time to be sight seeing. This isn't a museum... But seriously, you'd never think Kid would have abs.

He grunt and hisses some more as hi suffering probably got worse when he moved.

He places an arm on his stomach,most likely trying to soothe the aching muscles. 

"Go. Now! Please..." Kid begs. He sounds so sad, the way his voice wavers kills me. Like he's going to drown in his own tears that haven't quite spilled yet. I'm kind of taken aback. 

Pang. Guilt.

This never would have happened if it wasn't for me. It's my fault everyone is put in danger. No one would have been hurt if I had of just given myself up to Rowena instead of play hard to forget. No one would be suffering. If I had of thrown myself Rowena's way to begin with, Patty, Liz, Kid and everyone else wouldn't be in this position right now. They wouldn't have to endure all this pain.

"Morgana, Samantha Aileen!" Connor shouts, his eyes staring holes into me. He's glaring. Okay, what the hell did I do to get him so aggravated? 

"Don't you dare, for one tiny second, believe that this is your fault!" he yells. each word came out like an arrow, and they all struck at their target. Connor could be really intimidating at times. This was one of those times.

"He's right." Kid smiles weakly. "You shouldn't be thinking of giving yourself up. The soul reason Rowena is after you and Connor is to harness your powers."

"Imagine the destruction she could cause with us." Connor adds. "She just wants to hurt the innocent."

"We're not suffering because of you. you didn't put us in this position. We decided to fight because we don't want havoc to wreak around the world." Kid finishes,

That's all good and well, but how the hell did Kid know what I as thinking? How did he read them without doing a resonance link thing? It can't be done, can it? Unless... Connor. He linked the three of us telepathically. Sneaky bastard.

Connor and Kid both chuckle, 'course Kid's came out as a croaky whisper. The guilt still resides in me. It won't leave until I make things right. So with everything I have, with all the power I hold, I swear to Death, I'll make things right. 

"You better not be giving yourself up." Kid eyes me. Stern eyes, but they don't faze me. I grin at him and stand to my feet glancing at Connor who looks up at me. 

"That's the idea." I beam.

Both Kid and Connor begin to protest. I listen to neither of them. My mind wanders off to focus on the voice that's ringing loud and clear. It slithers into my mind, refusing to let go. They icy tone that sends chills down my spine. A voice that could make the bravest of men flee from battle.

I smirk.

Lucky for me....

I'm not a man.