Chapter 23: Grandma's House

Depuis le début

"Don't talk that way, she's still your mother and it's a sin to hate." My grandma fronwed even though she was quite aware i'd lost my faith in God long ago.

"So is atheism i'm sure." I frowned looking her dead in the eyes.

"You've got your problems. your doubts. We all do." She grinned up and touched my nose leaving behind bubbbles.

"Not Raine, she's believed all her life and I don't think she'll ever not believe. She's been handing shit on a plate yet she still believs one day it'll be replaced with a turkey sandwich." I smiled weakly shaking my head.

"That there, is what I call a christain woman in the making. You've got to believe to recieve, go throught trials ans tribulations first. Except them and move on, eventually life gets better, it does. Let's just hope you don't get your shit and your turkey sandwich all on the same plate." Grandma chuckled.

"Or at least hope they wash it first huh?" I grinned back at her, her eyes sparkling the way mama's used to before dad beat 'em dull and lifeless.

"Now we're kicking. Tell me more about her, describe her to me. Make her into a poem." My grandma grinned. She loved doing that, making things into poems instead of describing things regular.

"She's um... Her brown hair dances off her back chasing her silhouette and shining as it's kissed by a ray of sun. The same ray that gets her crystals blue eyes dancing like a river I want to swim the depths of. Fietsy as a tiger, protective as a lion, but never to far up in the clouds to to the ground. Hows that?" I smiled feeling accomplished.

"Indeed, I want to meet this girl. Bring her by on next sunday afternoon." Grandma smiled and I gave a nod of my head before drying my hands.

"I'm packed, are we gonna go see Raine now?" Joey smiled with her Dora backpack handing on to her. 

"Joey describe your big brother here's girlfriend Raine to me? Is she nice?" Grandma smiled watching Joey's eye come to life, dancing like a ice skater.

"She's nice, she baked us gingers for Christmas and she read me some bible quotes once. She tole me the story of Moses and she helped me with my hair and my homework. She tucked me in and played dolls with me too. Oh grandma and she's so pretty, and smart. I like her and I slept over at her house once and I had a terror and she promised not to ever leave me like mama did. I love Raine, she's the nicest girl in the universe!" Joey smiled making me blush and grandma smiled bigger. We hugged her good-bye and headed home and I was a bit shocked to see Raine pacing back and forth on my porch. Joey, however, was more excited then I was running right out of the car into Raine's arms.

"What are you doing here, I didn't expect to see you till tomorrow." I smiled but Raine just gave me a tired look andwalked into the house.

"I blew off tonights service. I mean, I still went to the morning one and all so it's not that big of a deal." She frowned instructing Joey to head off to her room and she'd come tuck her in later.

"Well, this must be important then." I sighed. "Go ahead."

"I know it was your birthday, so I have no right to complain because you made mine memorable and I did want yours to be too. But you abandonded me with a bunch of stranger who looked like they'd just got out of prison lockdonw for aggravated murder!! I mean, I amd not trying to ba a judgy Christain but damn it Elijah would it have killed you to at least introduce me properly to someone, ANYONE? Or if you really just wanted to party like that, you could've gave me a heads up. I could've went to hang with Sunny or took Joey out somewhere." She sighed looking more saddened then angry.

"I wanted you there, I just... Forgot. I hadn't seen so many of my friends in so long I got caught up in the excitement of the day. I owe you an apology, and I hope you'll accept it." I sighed standing up and stuffing my hands into my pocket.

"I do but... Elijah, next time you wanna party like that give me a better warning. I didn't appreciate this one." She frowned. 

"I know baby, I know." I smiled weakly, already a bit tired.

"I have to go tuck in Joey, then I gotta go. I promised I'd be home before service let out, if not my mom's gonna get even more pissed.

"Wait, wait... My grandma wants to meet you next Sunday afternoon." I smiled kissing her cheek and watching her blush intently.

"Really? Me?" She asked baffled.

"Yeah you, my girlfriend of what? 5 months now?" I smiled happy to her the words stretch off my lips.

"Okay, but I want Joey to come to church with me. I would prefer if you came too but i'm not gonna push my luck." I smiled.

"Keep counting clovers, Joey can go but i'll happily wait for you guys outside." I smiled and she kissed me deeply before heading off to Joey.

Picture is meant to be Elijah standing with his baby sister Joey on his shoulders.