Picture Perfect - One

Zacznij od początku

Already armed with a story planned, you were surprised when Spencer interjected and told his own, smiling at you adoringly as he did.

“I proposed on our second anniversary, I was so nervous but I so badly wanted to make this woman my wife that I knew I had to do it. I planned a surprise picnic at her favourite spot in a beautiful park not far from where we live. I picked out all of her favourite foods and bought a cd player with a disk containing all the songs she loved. The smile on her face as she sat opposite me on our special day made my heart burst and as nervous as I was, I knew I was doing the right thing. I just prayed that she’d say yes.”

He paused to take a breath and both the make up girl and you were captivated, waiting to hear the rest of his story.

“After we finished eating I presented Y/N with a photo album, documenting our time together. Photos from the first time we met when our friend Penelope introduced us, photos from our random day trips that we drag each other out on and always end up having the best time regardless. We were smiling in each and every one and as she flipped through the pages, I could see her eyes starting to fill with tears. When she got the the last page there was a string with a label on it saying, “pull me”. I remember that she looked so confused as she tugged on it lightly, slowly pulling out the tiny bag that I’d hidden in the spine of the album. Inside was a ring, a ring that in no way matched her beauty but it was the best I was ever going to able be to find. And that’s when I asked her, I told her she was my best friend, my favourite person in the world and I never wanted to be apart from her. Would she be my wife? And she agreed and I felt like the luckiest man in the whole world.“

When he stopped talked you quickly brushed your hands under your eyes, seeing the make up girl doing the same thing. Spencer looked between the two of you, a light blush forming on his cheeks.

“That has to be the best proposal story I’ve heard. And I’ve heard a lot. Can I see the ring?”

You looked to your hand, panicking as you realised that you weren’t wearing one. Spencer came to your rescue.

“Unfortunately no. One of the stones came loose last week and it’s back in the jewellers being replaced.”

The make up girl gushed over the pair of you for a while longer and filled a bag with free samples and goodies for you, adding in more than she probably should have.

You walked around the rest of the fayre feeling slightly strange. You binged on the cake samples, carefully watching Spencer as he ate. The story he’d told had really gotten under your skin, it was quite possibly the most romantic thing you’d ever heard and although it hadn’t happened, it was something that you could totally imagine him doing. Spencer was sweet like that, he did special things. Like on your last birthday, he set up a treasure hunt all over D.C, clues placed in hidden places which you had to decipher in order to claim your main present which had been two tickets to the theatre.

The strange feeling stayed with you the rest of the day, as you made your way home loaded up with goodies. You had the comfier couch, so you returned back to your apartment, ordering in take out as you settled down to watch the film, sitting snuggled up side by side.

You missed the last third of the movie, your eyes fluttering shut and your head resting on Spencer’s shoulder. You only came to when he nudged you awake, getting ready to leave himself.

Following him to your door to see him out, you hugged him tightly, thanking him for coming with you today.

“It was actually okay, I kinda had fun to be honest,” he told you, his hair slightly messy from lounging on your couch.

“Spencer… That story you told, where did you pull it from?” You had to ask, it had been playing on your mind all afternoon. He shifted awkwardly, shaking a lock of hair out of his eyes.

“Erm…. It just…. I don’t know. I just started talking and it flowed out. I could imagine us sitting in that park having a picnic together, looking through pictures of all the silly things we’ve done. It just seemed…. right?”

He sounded so unsure then, almost wondering if he’d said the wrong thing and you found yourself wrapping your arms around his neck and planting a kiss on his cheek.

“It sounded absolutely perfect, Spencer.”

“It did?”

You nodded at him, your faces so close together, your eyes searching his for any sign that maybe that was something he actually WANTED to happen. In the long run of course.

But you couldn’t read him, he seemed shielded suddenly and you took a step backwards, not wanting to do anything stupid and risk ruining your carefully cultivated friendship.

“I’ll… I’ll see you later, Y/N.” Spencer swallowed as he turned to open the door, you feeling increasingly disappointed.

“Goodnight Spencer,” your voice was small as he opened the door and walked through it, closing it behind him.