Chapter 26

I stared at him in shock, his father hated this woman because she gave birth to his baby? I understand that Stefano wasn't made from love, but that doesn't mean he should have been killed. If that is what Stefano is saying.

"So...he wanted her to kill you?" I asked quietly.

Stefano nodded, "I'm a mistake, he knew that. Both of them did. Surprisingly, it was his wife who talked to my mom and told her to have me."

He smiled softly, "She was likr another mother to me. She told my father that she didn't care I wasn't her's by blood. She still loved me as her own. She even wanted to adopt me, considering the fact my mother was afraid for me and that she couldn't have children."

I frowned, "What?"

"When Angelo's father found out, he also wanted me gone. He tried drowning me once, but Angelo saved me. Angelo and my mother didn't care that I was born because of a drunk one night stand. They still loved me. So, my mother was considering putting me in a foster home or something. To keep me safe."

"My father and step-father wanted me dead though. They didn't care that I was a child, that it wasn't my choice to be here. I wasn't worthy enough to live in their eyes. My father did eventually get over it, but he ignored me whenever his wife watched me. My step-father never did and made sure I was never happy."

I nodded, "So, your mother had a one night stand with your father and got pregnant. Your biological father wanted her to get an abortion, but his wife didn't. Then, Angelo's father found out and wanted you dead as well?"

"Yes."

"So...your father tried killing you?"

"Not exactly, just kept telling me I was a mistake and told my mom that she should get rid of me." He answered.

We sat there in silence, surrounded by our own thoughts. I looked at Stefano, finally seeing past that tough guy facade. He's truly lost.

"I should have run back and warned her." He suddenly whispered.

"I knew the fire wasn't out, I knew what Angelo was doing. I was...scared though. If I put it out or told someone, she wouldn't be dead and maybe my father could have loved me like a fatber should. But Angelo's father would have punished me...I was scared of his punishments."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "How old were you?"

"Five."

I sighed before pulling him into a hug, he immediately became tense, but I didn't care. He eventually relaxed, but didn't return the hug. Instead, he fell asleep, his head resting on my shoulder.

"You're not a mistake." I whispered.

Author's note:

Okay so...

Angelo's father and Stefano's father basically wanted him gone.