Chapter 19

I finished packing my bags and started dragging them downstairs. Stefano trailed behind me, paler than usual and limping even more. I clenched my jaw, preventing myself from scolding him again.

He continued to argue with me, wanting to carry some of the bags, but I wasn't allowing it. He picked up one bag and immediately dropped it, panting as immense pain had run up his arm.

I threw the bags into the SUV before climbing in, feeling slightly awkward next to Stefano.

I don't know why, but I've been feeling butterflies in my stomach when I was near him. I'm suddenly nervous around him, frightened of saying the wrong thing and embarrassing myself.

"Are you okay?"

I snapped my eyes to him, swallowing down the anxiety that was growing in my chest.

"Yes, why?" I squeaked.

He raised an eyebrow, "You seem nervous. I'm not going to hurt you...you know?"

I opened my mouth to respond, but the words died on my tongue. I released a breath, quickly looking away. I could feel the shift in the atmosphere, the tension blossoming between us.

I didn't want him thinking I was afraid of him, because I'm not. I feel safer being beside him, but I was extremely jumpy.

"I'm not afraid of you." I finally managed to say.

He didn't answer, he just looked at me with an intense look before looking away. It became silent in the car, neither one of us having anything to say.

I fidgeted slightly in my seat, my began to wander as the silence continued settling around us.

Now that I know Damon is, in fact, Stefano, it's strange. As Damon, he put on an act of a cheerful guy. Someone who was finally reaching his goal and becoming a rich CEO. However, Stefano, the real Stefano was quiet. He was cold, calculating, and stubborn. Just from the past forty-eight hours I could see the drastic changes.

He went from flirtatious, happy, and carefree to business like, quiet, and emotionaless. Questions about his past swarmed in my head, my mind screamed at me to give a voice to those questions. But I remained quiet, afraid of upsetting him.

I know that he's unpredictable, he has proven that just today. I remembered someone telling me that Stefano De Rege always gets what he wants. If he wants me dead, then I'll be dead.

Stop thinking he's going to kill you. I scolded myself.

I impatiently tapped my nails against the seat and chewed on my bottom lip. My thoughts causing fear to run through me.

When the car came to a stop in front of his house, he grabbed my shoulder. I gulped at the cold look in his eyes.

"I have rules." He stated.

"Do not go into my office, unless I allow you to. Do not touch my phone, computer, or files. Stay out of my bedroom. If you are hurt, let Hank know. And finally, stay out of my way while I'm working." He growled.

My eyes widened, I should add mood swings onto my description of Stefano.

I quickly nodded, "Yes, sir."

He stiffened, "You can call me Stefano."

"Oh...okay."

As we walked towards the house he seemed deep in thought. A tortured look washed over his features, but I didn't say anything. That look never left as he opened his door for me, softly closing it behind him.

"Uh, Hank will show you to your room." He mumbled, scratching the back of his head.

I nodded quietly, still stunned by the sudden shift in his mood. As I went to find Hank, Stefano suddenly stopped walking away.

"I'm sorry." He said, his voice cracking a bit.

"I just forget how to..." he trailed off, running his hand through his hair.

"I understand." I rushed out.

Sort of.

He gave me a thankful look before disappearing down the hall. I shook my head, I have to find a way to understand Stefano De Rege.