Chapter Forty

There are two voices, one is a soft low, and the other is a only few octaves deeper. My consciousness only fades in for short moments where I catch obscured clips of the two voices conversing while my body is jostled around at constant.

"You didn't hurt her did you?" The deeper voice questions in a muffled sound, as if I'm listening to it through a glass wall.

"She'll be fine, I barely hit her. For all she knows she tripped." The lighter voice snaps in reply.

The first voice scoffs a little and then chuckles lowly.

"She'll know she didn't 'trip' when she wakes up and her-"

"Shut up! Someone's going to hear you, dumb ass."

A rush of cold air hits my face along with the harsh vibrations of a car door slamming shut. My body sways with the rushed foot steps of someone carrying me, and then my consciousness slips from me once more.

***

"Oh look! Shi.t, there's a big lump..." The hair on the back on my head is being shuffled around and it feels like small needles are dusting the sensitive area on my scalp. "Damn it, why'd you have to hit her with your f.ucking heel? You were supposed to spike her drink so we wouldn't have to actually f.ucking hurt her." The deeper voice whines angrily, their fingers still roaming my hair.

"You knew what you were getting yourself into when you agreed to this. So shut your f.ucking mouth and stop bitching or I can do it myself... And besides, I tried to lace her water the other day and I don't think she drank it. It was a waste of time." The lighter voice barks in a tone holding more intimidation than the other, thus rendering the deeper voice silent.

Only muffled silence rings through my ears for a short period time. I feel my cheek pressed to rough carpet smelling of some overly flowery perfume that seems almost familiar in a way. There's a steady hand on my back, large and cold. It shuffles across my skin every once in awhile, and at one point I even feel it trace the shape of my lips. But every sense I'm picking up is unclear, and nothing really feels the way it should.

I try with all I have screaming within me to break through this haze but it encases every ounce of my body, every outlet I have to the real word around me. It won't allow me a way out, an exit to the torture of becoming a doll that people can drag around and do as they please with. And it's a scary thought, one that my mind is too lost to entertain. Maybe I don't know the full reality to what's going on around me but the reasoning pieces within me don't care to find out. So I lye, and wait, and fade.

A shrill clipping noise meets my ear drums twice.

Snip snip.

I slowly drift back into nothing.

***

"Alright, let's get out of here. She's going to wake up soon." The lower voice sighs, moving my body onto a softer surface.

"Let me finish this first." The lighter voice speaks passively.

Someone rises from next to me with the creek of the flooring and paces away from my place.

"We've done it, f.uck your side project, let's just go." The lower voice whispers half-heatedly.

"You know, if I had known you we're going to be such a whiny little bitch I wouldn't have brought you along."