Chapter Twelve

The police did come and question me, just like Mr. Payne said they would. They asked me if I knew anyone who would want to hurt Cara or if I myself had anything against her. They had the report that Courtney had filed to the RA for me and questioned me more about that. I told them of the conflict between me, Cara and Angela. I even told them about getting beat up because naturally, they were curious about it. They asked me where I was the night before the incident and I told them I was in town with a friend. My go around way of referring to the night me and Harry climbed that building and looked at the stars. I got butterflies from just thinking about it.

    I could see why I would be a notable suspect being that there was quite a bit of friction between the three of us, but in the end everything I said checked out. I had Courtney to vouch for my going out the night before yesterday and also for the fight at the party.

    When it was over they thanked me for my time and sent me on my way. I'm glad that was over, being investigated for hours like you're a criminal for something you didn't do is very intimidating.

It's now late afternoon as I walk outside into the courtyard, on my way to the library to return some books. The sun seems to set earlier and earlier every day. I almost can't believe that it's only five and the sun is already almost fully set.

    Just as I begin to head in the direction of the library Harry's black truck pulls up to the curb and a honk rings out at me.

    A smile lights up my whole face when his window rolls down to reveal his smirking lips and tousled curls. He gestures with a hand for me to come over and I have to stop myself from skipping to his place in the car window.

    "Hey," He says deeply with that grin tugging at the corners of his lips, "You busy?"

    "Not exactly, I was about to take some books to the library." I shrug lightly, not that I even want to go to the library now that he's here.

    "I'm sure that can wait." He rolls his eyes at me.

    His arm is hanging out the side of the window, his long fingers grazing the car door. A pair of dark sunglasses are nestled into the top of his hair even as it's not sunny out. He looks beautiful as always.

    "Get in," He instructs, throwing his thumb towards the passenger's seat. I don't put up much of a fight at all as I trail over to the other side of the car and climb in.

    Heat is pouring out of the vents because It's cold out today and I gladly soak in the warmth. He looks over at me while I buckle in and puts the car into drive, taking us off campus.

    "Where are we going?" I ask. He smirks at me.

    "You'll see," Is all he says before changing the subject, "How've you been?"

    "I'm good. A little stressed from the excitement on campus but I feel better now."

    He raises a brow, "Excitement on campus?"

    "Yeah, the car explosion." I elaborate. He only scrunches his face in confusion.

    "You didn't hear about the car explosion on campus yesterday?" I ask in disbelief.

    "I don't live on campus." He points out.

    "Oh. I guess I assumed everyone knew..."

    "What happened?"

    "My roommate, Cara, her car exploded while she was still inside." I explain, trying to shake the sound of Cara's strangled wails from my mind. He stays silent so I go on.