Chapter Ten

I tug nervously at the sleeves of my white blouse while I stand in front of the mirror. It's funny how when you're trying to impress someone it feels almost impossible not to second guess your appearance. I sigh and turn from the mirror.

"I'm going out." I tell Courtney.

"Kay," She responds, not taking her eyes from her laptop. She's intensely focused on finishing a paper for one of her classes. But I'm secretly grateful for her inattentiveness towards me.

I grab my jacket and slip out the door without another word.

The air has bite to it but I don't mind. I've always sort of liked the cold. And the sunset is absolutely breathtaking. The sky is filled with honey golds and light purples, like someone took their paint brush and put them there.

I had seen the oak tree at the edge of campus many times before, but now it's been imprinted in my mind. It's special because it was bigger than all of the other trees, its trunk being more thick and its branches stretching to incredible lengths.

As I draw closer to that incredible oak tree, I finally start to see him. He's leaning against the tree with his arms crossed. His silhouette is dark next to the vibrant colors of the sunset but I can still make out his shape. If I had a camera I would take a picture and capture the art in this moment.

He looks to me, just like he always does when he senses my presence, but he does something different this time. The corner of his pinkish lips pull into a slight smirk as a dimple forms in his left cheek. It's the first time I've ever seen a look of happiness on him, and I'm immediately convinced that it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I approach him in full and discreetly take in his appearance. He's wearing a brown shearling coat with a black t-shirt and black jeans snug on his legs. His dark curls perfectly frame his sculpted face, looking damp as if he's just gotten out of the shower.

"Hey," He says finally, his voice deep and endearing.

"Hi."

I absentmindedly smooth out my black and white plaid skirt. We've never had a normal conversation before, with introductions and all. It makes me nervous with anticipation for what's to come next.

"You uh," He clears his throat and clasps his hands behind his back. "You look nice."

"Thank you." I turn my head slightly away so he won't see the blush creeping into my cheeks.

This is so different, so odd. It feels like I'm talking to a completely different person than the one I had previously known. He doesn't seem nervous but he does seem a little uncomfortable. I can see his jaw clench and unclench in a few subtle movements.

"Do you want to talk here or somewhere else?" He asks.

"Wherever you're most comfortable."

He gives me a look.

"Let's not start that bullshít."

I laugh and shake my head. He stands there with a half serious expression on his face, his lips slightly twitching as he watches me.

"I honestly don't know." I say.

     He sighs loudly.

"Do you like heights?"

"I don't mind them." I offer with a slight shrug of my shoulders.

"God, could you give me a straight answer please. I don't want to take you somewhere high and have you píss your pants." He groans huskily.