Chapter Seven

"I don't think so," Harry says in a low, willful, tone. Mr. Payne's features only harden for a moment, his eyes scanning Harry's defensive stance and the hand he's placed on my shoulder before that closed mouth smile is on his lips once again. Only, less genuine this time.

    "So you did have a friend waiting for you?" Mr. Payne speaks in an even tone, keeping his heavy gaze on me only.

    "No I didn't! I mean I don't. I don't even know what this is," I stammer as I push Harry's hand from my shoulder, trying to sort out my anger and embarrassment. "I'm sorry about all this. I'll get back to you, about the meeting up." He nods slowly, giving me a pitying smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes.

    Grabbing Harry by the forearm I drag him down the hall after me, much like they way he did to me when he saved me from my mail woman escapade.

    "Don't fùcking apologize for me, I don't regret a word I said." Harry spits at me. Very few times have I felt the type of anger that I'm feeling at him right now. As soon as I feel we're far enough away from Mr. Payne's class room I stop and start yelling at him in angry whispers.

    "What the hell was that? I don't even know where to begin right now I'm so angry!" I find my hands balling into fists at my sides but the thing is I see his hands doing the exact same thing. The rings on his knuckles glow bright against the white of his skin. He seems just as p.issed off as I am.

    "I don't want you around him," He growls so that his voice echos in the hall. I shush him forcefully but he doesn't even seem to notice. I think he wants Mr. Payne to hear us which only makes my blood boil hotter.

    "You can't boss me around like that. And secondly, he's my professor, I can't just not be around him! What's the matter with you?" I whisper harshly at him. He stands there like a statue towering over me. He's so still when he's angry. His jaw is clenched so tight it looks as though it could crack at any moment.

    "And you were watching us!? God Harry, who does that?" I go on, taking his silence as my opportunity to release my anger.

He only watches me with a livid stare as I shift my weight from foot to foot. My fingers dig into my nail beds so hard that I think they might bleed. I wait for him to shout something back at me but he stays like that, with his curls framing the strain of his jaw. We just look at each other with him refusing to back down as he crosses his arms but keeps his fists clenched tightly.

    I sigh, feeling my anger deflate like a balloon spinning around crazily before finally floating to the ground in a heap of exhausted emotions. I put my head in my hands before looking back up at him again.

    "I thought you wanted me to stay away from you?" I question gently now. He seems surprised and his eyebrows pull together while he ponders my words. His features are still hard and unreadable but he runs his fingers through his hair and exhales deeply.

    "I know what I said... But I can't just stand back and watch you put yourself in danger like a five year old." He huffs, his face serious as he re-crosses his arms. I fight the anger that's threatening to resurge.

    "I wasn't in a dangerous situation though, I was being polite by helping my new professor who you were very rude to for no apparent reason!" I insist. I cross my arms to match his, my anger giving me a sort of confidence in this moment.

    "He's not a good person." He says slowly in a deep, raspy, tone.

    "You don't even know him!" I exclaim while gesturing in frustration with my left arm, trying to make a point.

    "I know enough." He spits the words like venom in his mouth.

    His face only becomes more and more closed off as he stands there so stubbornly, the muscles in his tanned arms flexed and solid. His over sized flannel gives him an almost whimsical look, but his black skinny jeans and brown boots even it out. It was different than the outfits I had seen him wearing in the past, but it didn't take away from his glaring edge.