Chapter 13

Thump, thump, thump. I could hear my heart beat. A low mumble of voices was just hearable above it; I could tell I was being held bridal style. I opened my eyes to see Jay’s stern face above mine. He looked down, but kept the stern look, before looking back at another person. When I turned to look at them the whole world rushed, before settling back into position.  Alex was standing, with another wolf from Jay’s pack gripping his shoulder tightly. I could hear Olivia shouting out profanities. When I adjusted my body to look at her, she was being restrained by two pack members, instantly I realized something was not right.

                “Whas goinon” I slurred out, both Jay and Alex looked down at me, it was only then I noticed the tears falling down Alex’s face. The knife positioned smartly in the pack member’s belt. I quickly shook off the remnants of the drug. I succeeded to roll myself out of Jay’s grasp and land heavily on the ground, before trying to run to Alex. Jay’s hands were already around my body and holding me still. For a second time in my life I watched as Jay made the decision over the life and death of one of my family members. “Jay please don’t hurt him, please” I begged, I didn’t need them to tell me what was going to happen. Olivia’s and Alex’s face told me everything, Alex was going to die. “Please, I’ll do anything just don’t hurt my brother” I screamed when he didn’t say anything.

                “Get Olivia out of here, she’s had enough excitement for a pregnant wolf” Jay’s voice was strict; I could see her fighting against the people restraining her. I heard the door close behind them; Jay pushed me onto one of the seats, but continued standing.  “Take Alex out of here to, I’ll deal with him in the morning. Any funny business and kill him.” At this, I started sobbing uncontrollably. I could tell Alex wanted to come hold me, but wouldn’t risk it. Jay just kept staring at me. I could hear shuffling around the room; it was Alex and his guard leaving. “Why did you run?” Jay’s voice was neither caring nor regretful, it was disappointed. Like when you did something you shouldn’t have and both you and your parents know it.

                “You don’t get to be disappointed in me; I did what was best for me. You have done nothing but hurt me since you first saw me. You killed my parents, handcuffed me to a bed, forcibly marked me, sent me into an environment which I knew nothing about and now are threatening to kill my last surviving family member.” It started out as a whisper, but turned into a full blown fit. Jay didn’t say anything, or try and deny that what he did was wrong. He just grabbed my hand and pulled me along to the attached bedroom.  He pushed me in and closed the door behind us.

                “Sleep” he commanded,

                “Not until I know you won’t hurt my brother while I sleep” I said, Jay looked at me thoughtfully before nodding.

                “Ok I shall not harm your brother while you are asleep.” He promised. With that I went into the bathroom and got ready to sleep again.

Bright light filtered through my eyelids, waking me up from a disturbing sleep. It had been plagued by nightmares, of my family, of Alex dying. I got out of bed and left my room in look of Jay. He was sitting in the kitchen; his fist was covered in blood.

He looked up at me guiltily, is had dried over his hand. I looked at him in horror; he said he wouldn’t hurt him.

                “It’s not what it looks like” he told me sternly.

                “You hurt him didn’t you?! You couldn’t even keep a promise! You are a horrible person, and hope you die. All you do is hurt people!” I screamed at him tears flowing freely down my face. I was well past the point of anger; I was furious, scared and felt betrayed. “You killed my parents! And now probably both of my brothers! How could you? Don’t you ever think of anyone but yourself, about how I feel?” I cried, in this time he had walked closer to me and was reaching out to grab me. I slapped his hand away. “Don’t you dare touch me!” I yelled at him, with that I fled the room. I slipped past Jay’s beta who looked surprised to see me so upset, and went straight in search of Olivia. I had never wanted to leave here more. I ran around the house, nearly getting lost until I saw a room which had a guard standing outside of it. “Let me in!” I yelled at the poor unsuspecting guard. When he shook his head saying no I walked up real close and kneed him while removing the key from his pocket. I heard him yell out in pain, but ignored it. I slipped the key in and entered the room before he could stop me. “I thi- think h- he ki- killed h- him” I hiccupped to Olivia who just looked at me with shock.

                “He can’t have” she whispered, her face had paled visibly and tears were welling in her eyes. Jay burst into the room only a moment later, his eyes a whirl pool of fury.

                “Olivia, calm down he is not dead. Yet” he told her calmly. His fist was still covered in blood. “And if you do not calm down, you will increase the risk of having a miscarriage. Do you want that? You know it’s high for werewolves, higher than humans by far. Now Calm Down” he commanded. “Lucy Alex is ok, he tried to escape. That is why his blood is on my hand, he got in trouble for trying to leave.” I was still sobbing when Jay ushered me out of the room.

                “I don’t believe you” I whispered, Jay’s head snapped to look at me.

                “And why would that be?” he asked gently, as if he was probing a bomb.

                “Because you killed my family. Why wouldn’t you kill him and then tell me later he died of blood loss or suicide” I told him.

                “I didn’t kill him. I will let you see him later, but for now I want you to eat some food” He instructed.