The Midnight Channel

Naoto's POV

''That's................Ayame!'' I said as I looked at the blurry image that had appeared on the midnight channel. I knew something was wrong I was having a bad feeling all day after Ayame left school to care fore her mom I could never quite put my finger on it but of course it makes sense as to it being Ayame she was recently shown on TV for her performance at Inaba grade school and that reminded me why I was so concerned about the news station being there!

I was deep in thought when my phone rang, pulling me away from my thoughts I looked at the ID caller to see it was Yu who was calling.

''Naoto speaking'' I said

''Hello Naoto? You saw that right?'' he replied

''If you mean the midnight channel yes I saw it. You all really were telling the truth about that rumour being correct. Is that how I appeared on it?'' I said slightly intrigued but still worried.

''Yes but that's how you appeared before you were thrown into the TV world, it gets much clearer after that. Did you see who it was? I think I could make out a girl and everyone else thought the same but that's all we could make out it was too blurry and unfocused to make out too much detail'' he said, I thought about it for a minuet.

'That was definitely Ayame, I would know her anywhere and the fact that she was just on the news earlier, that makes sense' I thought to myself,

''I have a pretty good idea who it was, we should all get together on the roof of the school at lunch tomorrow and we can compare data'' I said to him in the calmest tone I could muster up.

''mm good idea I'll let everybody know see you tomorrow Naoto'' he said calmly 

''yes see you tomorrow'' I replied before hanging up and heading to bed. I just hope that Ayame wasn't in that world yet we had to protect her and ensure that she wouldn't get kidnapped. I mean I did on purpose to prove that the case wasn't over but I didn't want to see my best friend get kidnapped, no I wouldn't let it happen but I knew I didn't have to do it alone.

(Time skip to lunch, on the roof with the investigation team)

''Okay guys, about the midnight channel last night, Naoto you said you had an idea of who it was correct?'' Yu said as everyone turned to me. I nodded my head, I could feel tears forcing their way up but I forced them back down and looked at them all calmly.

''It was Ayame.... It had to be'' I said, I looked a lot calmer than I felt.

Yosuke's POV

After hearing Naoto everything went silent. 'Ayame-chan! No why would she be' I thought I was panicking and I didn't know what to do. I looked over to Naoto, she looked calm but I could tell she was panicking inside why wouldn't she they are best friends after all.

''Well she's not in the TV right, it would be crystal clear if she was right?'' Chie shouted sounding really panicked, we all exchanged glances before Yu spoke up facing Naoto.

''Naoto, call her find out if she is alright so we can be sure, you and Kanji mentioned that she wasn't in class which its unlike her its possible she has a good reason for not being in'' he said calmly, she looked up and nodded her head she stood up and walked a couple steps away her back facing to us, so we could still hear her but we couldn't see her face.

''c'mon, Ayame pick up........please'' she whispered I could tell she was on the verge of tears with how quiet she was, it was faint but I could hear a voice through the phones receiver but I just couldn't make out what they were saying.

Naoto's POV

''hello?''

''Ayame! Oh thank goodness your safe!'' I said relieved

''What, Naoto? Of course I'm safe, oh sorry I meant to call you and tell you that I had to stay off today, my mom's been taken into hospital she was so much worse than yesterday and I had to stay with her. She should be okay but I won't be in school until tomorrow'' Ayame said I could hear the sadness in her voice,

''okay well as long as your okay, are you staying there with her tonight then?'' I asked if she was staying at the hospital it would be fine but if not.....

''Huh? oh no I'm going home just now, in fact I've arrived at home right now. I was told that I can visit anytime but I need to stay at home so its easier to get to school tomorrow'' she said, as she did I could hear her close her door behind her,

''What?!'' I shouted, turning around so I was facing everyone else. They all looked to each other concerned, then to me ''So your going to be there alone?!''

''I.....uh yeah..... why do you sound so scared Naoto?'' she said slightly taken back by my sudden outburst, I took a deep breath and calmed down before speaking again.

''If that's the case I'm staying at yours tonight, okay?'' I said she took a moment before speaking obviously confused that I didn't ask,

''Uh sure that's fine with me. I guess it would be nice to have company tonight so I guess I'll see you when you finish school? Meet me at my house okay?'' she said her voice slightly more relaxed and actually I could hear relief in her voice.

''Okay I'll be there as soon as school is finished see you soon''

''Okay, bye Naoto'' she said before hanging up.

I put my phone away and looked up to everyone and started to explain everything.

''You all remember that her mother fell ill yesterday and she had to leave early to care for her correct?'' they all nodded to me silently as if telling me to continue '' Well apparently she looked worse this morning and had to get taken to hospital Ayame went with her, hence why she is not in school today but she said she should be in tomorrow''

''Okay that's good but what were you panicking about before you insisted at staying at hers tonight?'' Kanji said to me I walked over and sat back down next to him,

''She would have been staying home alone tonight if I hadn't said that, she may have been kidnapped by the killer. At least this way I can keep an eye on her tonight and make sure she will be okay'' I said looking up to them all Yosuke let out a relieved sigh and smiled at me,

''always 3 steps ahead, well at least I know she will be safe with you Naoto. I don't need to feel as worried'' he said, I smirked a little does he have the same feelings for Ayame as she does for him? Everyone else turned to him smiling

''I knew you liked her Yosuke!'' Rise squealed jumping up from her seat next to Yu. He starts to blush before turning back to me.

''Just text one of us when you get to her place after school okay?'' he said smiling weakly I smile back at him and nod as the bell rings signaling for afternoon classes to begin, we all parted ways Rise went to her class I went to class with Kanji and Yu, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko went to their class together. I'm glad I can protect her, at least for tonight.