Elsie Henderson[2]

Chapter 2 - New Life

The ride there was quiet and suffering. Every time I would begin to cry, Aunt Suzanne looked at me strangely, as if asking me why I was crying. Like she didn't know. Aunt Suzanne was my mother's sister, but she had a different way of handling things.

She kept her feelings. She mourned by keeping herself busy; by being a clean freak. Aunt Suzanne never had any kids, so knew nothing about having someone else in the house with her. She had some adjusting to do.

I wasn't exactly the rebel, the talker, but I was the quiet one. I doubt she will even know I'm there. It will be like living with a ghost.

All this sadness made me want to beat on a wall, knowing nothing could come from it. I wanted to scream until I suffocated, hoping that if I wasted enough tears, they might be brought back to life.

I want to escape. To go to a land where I could be with them, and them only. Where I could hug, play, and joke around with them, like we rarely did. I took my family for granted, thought I hated them, now I wish I were where they are.

"We're here," Aunt Suzanne said soberly.

"Great." We locked the car, walked toward the porch, and opened the solid white door. We stood, and waved her hand as a signal to walk in first. I picked up my bag, walked through the door to inside, to my new life.

The house was pretty beautiful. The floor was shiny, the couches were the finest leather, and the house smelled with perfume. She had a number of maids and 2 butlers. The house was amazingly huge, too huge for one person.

"What a lovely home," I said, breathlessly.

"Thank you. It was very expensive." She said. And that was that.

I was amazed by the coziness of this home. So perfect, I thought, but extremely lonely for one person.

She showed the way to my room and I unpacked as she kept her eyes on me suspiciously. I saw her eyeing me, but I ignored it. She must be getting used to me. I wish. "Do you want to talk about it?" Aunt Suzie asked me, concerned.

"Me? I'm fine, really." She knew I was bluffing because as the words escaped me, a single teardrop formed and hit the floor.

"Oh, come here, darling. It will be okay. You'll start school tomorrow and you'll have so many friends. I practically know all the kids around here. You'll be fine. You'll be fine." Aunt Suzie repeated.

"I know. I know. I'm tired. May I go to bed?"

"You're not hungry?" Once she said it, I was, but I rejected any thought of food.

"No, I had a big lunch." That was a lie. I hadn't eaten since I got the news.

"Well. Goodnight, then. Sleep tight, sweetie." She said sweetly. It brought back memories from when I was a child and my mother would say stuff like that to me. It hurt to think of them. Of their deformed and melted faces from the fumes of the gases from the broken car. I prayed I would sleep that night and not have nightmares. That prayer was not answered.

Comment?

dixiechick;$(:♥