Chapter 27: Some Need To Know The Truth, Others Need To Forget It

Start from the beginning

“Tell me about what happened to Sef first.”

  I sighed, “We were going to head to Alamut the next day. We were packing when there was a knock on the door. Sef went down to see whom it was. I snuck down stairs and watched everything.”

  I swallowed hard before continuing, “Swami was at the door. They spoke three lines –three lines- before he took a knife and stabbed him several times.”

  My voice trailed off. Darim held me closer to him. He knew the truth was going to be ugly. He started to brush my hair just like mother did. I swallowed hard. Too many memories flooded my vision. I closed my eyes to try to get rid of them. I took in a deep breath before I continued.

“Swami whispered to Sef that father –Altaïr- ordered it himself. Once he left, I ran over to Sef, I tried to help him but, he knew it was his time. He was so accepting of it. I kept telling him that he was going to be okay but he kept saying non, his time was up.”

“Harees, you do not need to-”

“Non, I need to.”

  I took in a deep breath, “I told him that father would never give Swami that order. He knew that. His last words where ‘Abbas’. I told him ‘I love you’ and that was it. With the last bit of energy he had, he smiled at me. That was it. He died in my arms.”

  It was silent for a while before Darim spoke up, “Ana as'fi Harees. [I am sorry, Harees]”

  I shook my head, “Non, do not be. It happens.”

  There was silence in the room. I reached over and grabbed my water and took a sip before I leaned back and went back in Darim's arms. I looked up at him and he looked down to me giving me the answer I was looking for. I sighed and then started to talk again.

“I got my bag and started to head out when I realized that I needed to send Abbas a message. I looked over to Sef and I knew I had to do it.”

“What did you write?”

“Our family will get revenge.”

  He gave me a weak smile showing me that he approved of what I did. I looked up to him and then back to my lap. I started to play with my hands. I sighed and then continued.

“I snuck out of Masyaf, but Abbas saw me and had men come after me. I got out of there and headed to Alamut. I had to tell Sef's wife the truth. I told her everything and went to go talk to Malik. I knew I could trust him in a time of need.”

  I swallowed hard, “Swami set Malik up and hid the knife he used to kill Sef under his bed. Abbas came in and took us away. We were put in prison for two years before you guys came back and got us. C’était enfer. [it was hell]”

  Darim kissed my forehead and then looked at me. A tear rolled down my face as I remembered being in prison. What Abbas and Swami did to me, would not leave my memory. It was forever cemented in my mind. Darim held me closer to him. I could not stop now; I knew I had to continue.

“Father got both of us out of there and brought us back to the house out in Masyaf. I was asleep in there for four days going in and out of consciousness. I saw Swami walk in and cut Malik's head off.”

  I went silent. I had watched so many people suffer and die in front of me within the last six years. I hurt so many people. It was like I only brought trouble to those I love. I was trouble and I knew it. When I was well again, I had to leave, I had to be on my own. I could not bring any more trouble or harm to my family.

“When I got up after resting for four days, Malik's body was there without his head. I tried to talk to maama and baaba but they were not there. I walked out and found them talking. They had met up with Abbas and Swami. To make a long story short, Swami told father that right before he killed Sef, he told him that father ordered the kill himself. He got mad and took control of his mind with the Apple. Maama stood in front of baaba to try to get him to stop and once he did, Swami stabbed maama in the back. Baaba stabbed Swami in the neck with his hidden blade. Maama died in baabas arms.”