The Kitten Has Claws [Chapter 10]

Start from the beginning

Tamsin and Delilah watched the silent exchange between Ingrid, Paxton and Ryder in amusement. Personally, they liked Ryder a lot better than Paxton. He wasn't as harsh and rude to Ingrid. Ryder seemed like he genuinely cared about her and that's what Ingrid needed. She deserved a man that would do everything in his power to prevent more pain and sorrow from affecting her.

"So," Tamsin whispered coyly to Ingrid, "did you make a decision yet?"

Ingrid lightly punched her, "No," she hissed. "Stop bothering me about that. I'll deal with it later. When I'm ready."

Delilah leaned in on her other side, "Better sooner than later. Paxton looks ready to kill Ryder if he so as much speaks to you."

"What are you ladies whispering about?" Fletcher grinned annoyingly.

Tamsin frowned at him, "None of your business. Go away."

"Can't," he replied jovially, "You're in my seat." Before she could protest, Fletcher picked her up, spun around 180 degrees and sat down on the couch where she was just sitting. He pulled her onto his lap, "There, all better."

Tamsin struggled against him, "What? No, I am not sitting on your lap. You can go sit somewhere else you stupid man."

Fletcher chuckled, "There's nowhere else to sit, pumpkin."

"The floor is open," she muttered darkly.

"Ah," he laughed softly, "but that's not near as comfortable as sitting on this couch. With you on my lap."

"Screw you."

"Yes please."

Tamsin let out a yelp and elbowed him in the ribs, "That is not what I meant, and you know it!"

Fletcher winced, but pulled her closer to him, "I'm sorry, I couldn't resist." He winced again when she kicked him, "Let's not fight right now. Whatever Raine needs to tell us is important, otherwise he wouldn't have called for all of us immediately."

Raine cleared his throat to get everyone's attention and silence. "We seem to have a bigger problem than just the Hunters," he said calmly. There were mixed murmurs of disbelief and fear when he spoke, but he simply waited until it died down before continuing. "On the way back from the cabin we were stopped by a hawk associated with the Hunters. It warned us to guard 'the Vessel'. After that the Fairies sent us a note," he held up the arrow and note, "that also warned us of the same thing."

"Fairies?" Noelle asked in disbelief.

"Yes," Raine reaffirmed, "I fear that this is only the beginning. The only problem is none of us know who or what the Vessel is."

"I do," Violet said softly. Everyone swung their heads to stare at her.

"You know?" Raine asked desperately. "What is it?"

Violet cleared her throat uncomfortably, "Not what, but who. The Vessel is part of the legend of Réveil."

"The Awakening?" Finn translated hoarsely. "But it's just a legend, isn't it?"

"Many races believe it to be true. The Vessel is the key to the beginning of Réveil. She is called the Vessel because her child will be the leader of the world after the completion of Réveil. Therefore many races will be looking for the Vessel in order to impregnate her. If the child is of their offspring then they too will be powerful."

"Dear gods," Fletcher muttered. "If she falls into the wrong hands..."

"Exactly," Violet said fiercely, "It is important to protect her because we don't want the wrong race getting a hold of her. An evil ruler is not what this world needs."

"I'm assuming when you say 'race' you aren't referring to Black, White, Asian...etc. Right?" Ingrid said.

Violet nodded, "I am referring to the others such as fairies, werewolves, pixies, demons, nymphs, harpies, etc."

"What I don't understand," Paxton muttered, "is how the Hunters fit into all of this. Why would the hawk warn us? Aren't the Hunters trying to get the Vessel for themselves, or at least kill her?"

Raine gave a frustrated sigh, "I never try to understand the Hunters. My only guess is that the hawk isn't exactly on the Hunter's side. However, we shouldn't put our trust in it just yet. What I do know is that the Hunters won't give up on their pursuit of us any time soon."

He looked fiercely at each of his men, silently commanding them to stay alert and aware. If they lost any more women, panther or not, he didn't know what they were going to do. It was of every importance to keep the women safe, but on top of that they had to protect the Vessel too.

"Violet?" he asked suddenly. "Do you know who the Vessel is?"

She opened her mouth before giving him a guilty look and looking away, "I can't tell you."

"Why the hell not?" he growled.

"I'm not allowed to."

"Bullshit! Tell me who it is!" Raine demanded angrily. Noelle laid a hand on his arm and unconsciously rubbed soothing circles.

Violet's eyes turned a bright red. "I. Can't. Tell. You," she bit out harshly. "From birth I have been sworn to protect her, if I tell you, a panther, who she is, I am betraying my own race. A fate worse than death. Surely you of all people would understand loyalty."

Thoroughly chastised, Raine settled back into the couch. Well shit, if she couldn't tell him, how was he supposed to be useful? "How am I supposed to know who it is?" he asked.

Violet gave him a sad look, "You'll just know. The Elders of your race should know too. That's all I can tell you. I'm sorry."

"This is ridiculous," Ryder said abruptly. "I feel completely useless sitting here, doing nothing to protect the Vessel. There has to be another way to find out who she is. I mean, it's obviously one of our women we have here."

"No shit Sherlock," Paxton muttered under his breath.

Ryder shot him a glare before continuing, "If every other race knows who it is, why don't we?"

"I don't know Ryder," Raine replied tiredly. "For now we'll just have to deal with our ignorance. But, if anyone finds anything out I want you to report to me immediately. Understood?" Everyone but Violet gave a quick nod of agreement. "Good. Meeting adjourned. Oh," he added quickly, "someone should probably fill in Theo about all of this."

"I'll let him know," Delilah offered, rising off the couch to leave the room. Finn and Violet left the room after her, Finn saying something about Violet being tired from recovering.

As soon as they left Ryder walked over to Ingrid, "May I talk to you briefly? In private?" he asked with a soft smile. She nodded, giving him her hand to help her off the couch. Ingrid ignored the hot daggers of Paxton's glare as they left the room. She would have to deal with him later. For now, Ryder deserved her full attention.

�