Chapter 34: Hero.

Chapter 34: Hero.

¬Peasnie¬

After about two hours of James’ birth, I had to get stitches, sadly. That hurt like hell and now every movement I made hurts badly so I changed into a pair of PJs, a pair of homemade PJ bottoms and a tank top. I kept my hair tied up. Phil and James got a swabbed for their DNA. Arin was still nowhere to be seen but none of that mattered to me right now because is one more hour we’ll know who James’ father is. It’s both nerve wrecking and exciting. I’m rooting for Phil even though he doubts he’s the father. Phil doesn’t know I know this but he went to the Doctor just before I got pregnant and they said he might never be able to have kids so they put him on this medication to help his sperm count get higher in numbers. What? I got curious when I saw him take the pills so I Googled it. That’s how I found out. I’m praying that it worked.

Anyways earlier I did something my dad did for me when I was born. I wrote him a letter. I cried tons while writing it but dad just said it was because I was tired and emotional.

December 13, 2015.

Dear James Owen Michael Lester,

Happy birthday baby boy! Today was the day you entered the world. You were kicking and screaming so I expect you’ll carry that throughout life. When I started labor with you I was scared because I thought I’d turn out like my mom. Let me tell you a story about how you and I came to be.

The year was 1994, yes I know that seems like hundreds of years ago but really it was only twenty-one years ago. Grandpa Jimmy, the man we named you after and Grandma Rosie thought they loved each other and God said to the angels to send me down to them, sadly my mom and dad didn’t really love each other but they loved me. When I was born my mom left when I was a day old but my dad stayed around and he raised me. He raised me as best he could all by himself. And he loved me as much as I love you.

When I started school at the age of four I met your daddy. We became best friends along with Uncle Dan. We grew up together even though I was gone a lot with either Grandpa or Grandma. Grandpa was what I called a rock star and Grandma lived far away. When your daddy and I were little we fell in love even though we didn’t know it at the time but we did know it when we were teenagers.

After we graduated High School we moved far away from home to where we live now. That December your daddy asked me to marry him and I said yes. He and I knew we wanted to get married in our childhood home, days before we got married I found out the angels sent you to me. Your daddy was very excited to meet you. We got married and then we had you.

You were made out of love and nothing less. You are wanted and loved very much by everybody around you. And no matter what the future has you will always have family and by family I don’t just mean blood. Blood may be thicker than water but when blood isn’t there water will always be. And I’ll always be there, no matter what because I love you with every ounce of my existence.

Love mommy.

Xoxo

I lay in the bed holding James in my arms. My dad needed to go out for a cigarette and Phil went out to get me some food because I can’t stand hospital food. We got him changed into his Poyomon onesies. He was absolutely adorable. If you don’t know who Poyomon is, he’s a Digimon from the original series. James was fast asleep in my arms; he was nestled into me safely. That’s when the idea popped into my head, it was only right to do this. I smiled as I stroked his face gently.

“Let me tell you a story, baby boy.” I whispered to him calmly.

“This is a story Grandpa told me when I was born and now I’m gonna tell it to you.” I added as I looked down at his sleeping face. He seemed like a dream, like he wasn’t real but he is. He’s very, very real.

“There once were two stars in the sky, the biggest brightest star was a mommy star. And the smallest star in the sky, the one that didn’t shine very brightly, he was her baby boy.” I began the story in a whisper. He snuggled into me and cooed happily. I smiled at the memory of Dad telling me this story growing up.

“One night the baby star got separated from mommy star. He couldn’t find his way home. The mommy star was worried about him being out in the big night sky all alone. So every night that little star wasn’t home, mommy star would shine brighter than any star in the sky so her light can guide the little star home. But he was so small, he couldn’t see it. Then one night he became determined to find his way home. He did everything he could to get back into the arms of her mommy. And finally when he lost all hope in finding his way home. He saw the light and returned home to his mommy and daddy.” I altered the story a little bit. I held James’ hand gently and cradled him close to me.

“Moral of the story; never give up, there is always hope. Even when you feel like there is none left.” I told him softly.

“I can’t believe you actually remember that story.” My dad said as he walked into the room casually with his hands in his jean pockets. My smile grew when he approached the bedside and peered down at his Grandchild.

“Of course I remember that story; you’d tell it to me every chance you got.” I replied weakly. I handed James over to my dad so he could hold him. My dad hasn’t actually held James yet and I only though it was right. I smiled at them.

“Y’know if you have him six years ago you would’ve been my age.” He said with tears in his eyes, they were forming but his blues were glassy.

“It’s like you were expecting me to get knocked up as a teenager.” I told him lightly. He chuckled and shook his head.

“No, well yeah; I only thought that because I was a teen parent and apparently I’d rub off on you.” He said calmly. “-But I am so glad you weren’t because it was such a struggle. You were my best friend and I’d hate to see anything bad happen to you. And being a teen parent is something bad because it’s hard and when you’re doing it alone, it’s harder. Your mom and I argued so much when you were a baby.” Dad now had those tears coming down his face. I know he’s very emotional right now.

“I’m so happy you’re in a better place than what I was when I had my first child. You’re not a kid, you’re not in school, you don’t live with your parents or work in a grocery store, and more importantly, you’re not in this alone.” He told me in weeps and sobs. His eyes moved from mine to behind me. I turned to see Phil standing there with a McDonald’s bag, a drink and a gift shop bag hanging off of his wrist. He shared a big goofy smile with me as he came in. Phil set our dinner down on the table and came over to me; he greeted me with a tender kiss.

“How’re you doing?” He asked smiling. I shrugged and smirked.

“I’m still sore but mainly hungry.” I replied making Phil chuckle. I really hope James doesn’t have my dietary habits. He’d end up being a very heavy little boy.

Our happy moment turned serious when Donna walked into the room with a big brown envelope in her hands.

“The results are in,” She said nervously, catching all of our attention. My stomach twisted and my heart raced. I have so much to lose. I can possibly lose Phil if James isn’t his. I don’t want to lose anyone because of something I brought on.

“The father of James Owen Michael Lester is. . . .”