"Nice pep talk, but I didn't do anything," Cliff then hollered in the back. "So what if we did a few pranks? We didn't kill anyone." Parker shook his head.

"Didn't you just hear what I said?" There was a collective shrug among the group as Dr. Everts cleared his throat.

"Maybe the group will loosen up if we offer some honest dialogue about how we feel about what's been happening these past few months." The man's eyes narrowed playfully on the boys before him. "Since you're all being as dry as beef jerky, I'll try to share what I think is happening." He when on a spiel about how the pranks may have contributed to Rosemunde's current situation, and how the recent shenanigans could affect alumni donations, prospective student enrollment, and even college admission prospects. "Dr. Edsel told me that at the open house, the potential students seemed particularly concerned about some YouTube video with the girls. Unfortunately, it appears people are attaching Rosemunde's tragedy as some sort of reflection of your institution. And I wasn't supposed to say this, but your headmaster claimed that you won't get your annual spring picnic if these mishaps continue." The boys grumbled. As it began to die down, a student finally raised their hand. He motioned to the boy. "Okay, what frustrations would you like to share?"

"Honestly, I don't like the fact that we're stuck doing a dumb intervention while the Roz girls get off Scott-free," Wallace decided as he rose to his feet. "I also think there needs to be an investigation from their side. Everyone knows that Penelope was responsible for splashing Miren at the assembly. And even if Miren did go all beast-mode of Penelope, I heard she was also bullying Miren before then. Long story short, I think most of us would feel better if Rosemunde also offered their side of the story and showed some remorse for what's been happening. Not just us." The male students verbally expressed their agreement.

Miren nodded, although she felt a slight sting from his words. Beast-mode?  "Maybe that's something we can address in our apology—that although we're sorry for what has happened, we still feel both Rinzen and Rosemunde should be investigated. It's only fair."

"And who said life's fair?" Axel said this time, his hazel eyes lighting up. Probably for the sake of stirring conflict. "I mean, I'm all for playing nice with the ladies, but the issue at hand is that we have no real incentive to do so. Fuck the trip. Fuck the apology. We have a worm among us and I'm not going to be satisfied until I know who they are."

"And what will that accomplish?" Parker retorted. "They've already been punished. I don't see what more any of you could do to him that wouldn't result in getting in trouble."

"Whatever." Axel rose to his feet, started moving toward the front of the auditorium. "But it doesn't explain why you're being so defensive," the amateur rocker considered. "Makes me wonder if you're the one responsible for all of this. You know, it's really hypocritical for you to be preaching honesty when everyone can tell you're hiding something."

A hundred murmurs filled the air, but Parker was more annoyed than discouraged by the progress of this session. His green eyes, now harsh and confident, narrowed on the reckless boy.

"You want honesty?" Parker said, his voice increasing in volume, "Then I'll give it to you. I was in love with Miren but I blew her off for Penelope. They had a falling out, and I watched how miserable Miren was because of it for years. So when she went missing, I did everything I could to find her. And now every day I think about how stupid I was before, and how tragically she went. I mean, she died in a fire. How fucked up is that?

"After the funeral, I thought I could at least pretend to have closure, but then all these pranks kept occurring. And the video at the musical was the final straw. Even now that we know who is responsible, it only raises a thousand more questions. Like if I can even still trust my friends - my fellow classmates. And if I'm as big as a failure to Miren as I am to everyone else."