Chapter 21: The Welcome Party

Start from the beginning

“This would have not happened to a stronger leader.”

“You are a strong leader. Abbas can trick the weak-minded. Once he tricks one, he tricks all of them.”

  Malik looked down to me and smiled at my words. He looked out the cell bars as if someone was going to be there to save us that instant. I hung my head down. I knew that Altaïr would not be coming anytime soon and so did Malik but now, the only thing we had was hope. We had to keep our hope strong to get out of here alive. Malik looked back to me and sighed.

“How are we supposed to get out of these bounds?”

  I looked down at the rope on my ankles. I looked around the room again to see if I could find anything to cut the rope. I found nothing. I looked back to Malik whom was just looking at me. I gave him a glimmer of hope in my eyes. I had a plan but I could not do it just yet. I may not be able to do it for a while. He had half of a grin in reply. I rested my head on the cold concrete wall. I closed my eyes trying to take in what had happened. I heard a few noises from outside the cell but nothing that got my attention.

  After a few minutes, I was ready to fall asleep. I could have fell asleep right there, but I could not because I heard footsteps storming our way. I jolted my eyes open and heard the footsteps coming closer. I looked over to Malik and he had worry in his eyes. I looked towards the cell door and found whom was storming his way here. He had the keys in his hands and unlocked the cell door. He stormed over to me and grabbed me by the arm and pulled me with him leaving Malik by himself. I kept my head down low because I did not want him to know he was hurting me.

  He closed the cell door as I tried to get up on my feet. Once the cell door was closed he grabbed my arm even tighter and pulled my along with him. We walked down the long hallway and went up the stairs I had just come down from. We walked up the stair for what seemed like forever before we reached another hallway. We walked down the hallway and reached a door. Swami opened the door. Once the door was opened he pushed me in the room. I landed on my face again about a few feet away from the door. For someone with a weak mind, he can throw someone pretty far.

  I let out a groan from the impact. I moved my head up from the cold floor to look around the room. Before I could look around, I felt an arm around my arm again. Here we go again! His grip loosened a bit from a few seconds ago but not much. We walked in the room a bit. It was dark and I was surprised that he could even see. I blinked and turned on Eagle Vision. I looked around and saw a table in the middle of the room and a few men standing around. I blink and turned off Eagle Vision. Where they going to torture me?

  We got closer and closer to the table. Once the table was in throwing distance, Swami threw me at the table and I hit the table hard. I let out a huff at the impact and tried to catch my breath. I looked up to find Abbas standing at the end of the table. I could see his smug face under the dim light. It was the only light in the room. I could not show them my emotions. I hid them for a long time and I think I could handle a few more minutes of hiding them.

  Abbas had a small grin on his face as he made a muffled noise, “Always fighting. When are you going to stop and realize that there is nothing to fight for anymore?”

  I straightened up and replied, “When the battle is over.”

“Oh, but Harees, it ended a while ago, you just stuck around to clean up.”

  Swami came up behind me and grabbed my arm. I tried to push him away but his grip only got tighter. I did not have to look at him to tell he had a wide grin on his face. Abbas walked over to me and got very close to me. He smiled at me with his smug face. I tried moving my head back but Swami pushed my head closer to Abbas’. I looked straight into his eyes. I did the only thing I could think of doing. I spit on his face. He moved back a bit from me but then got closer.