[1] Four Friends and a Funeral

Death always drew the companions back together. Three years had passed since Kayla Windshaper saw her friends. But time turned quickly for a Kowluun Elf and it felt like she saw them only yesterday. Astride her brown stallion, she crested a sloping hill and the town of Tamberlain spread out before her. With a smile from the watchman, the large wooden gates opened wide allowing her entry upon approach. The small trading town bustled in the mid-day sun with everyone preparing their last minute wares in anticipation of the winter months. Before crossing the threshold, a western wind bellowed Kayla's emerald robes and drew her intense gaze to the Whispering Woods. Darkness ever-cloaked the towering trees. She had not stepped foot in those woods since...

"Hail, stranger!" a loud grumbling voice shook her from her memory and made her clutch for her staff. It was only Haygen.

"Would you mind?" asked Kayla, "I'm looking for a dear friend of mine."

"Alright. Be more specific?"

"Well, yes I can actually. " She groomed her long silver hair in deep thought, "A giant, green, hairy creature. Probably drunk off ale by now. Smells of either Goblin's blood, or maybe a black Dragon's backside."

"Hey!" Haygen lifted his massive arm and sniffed his hairy armpit. "Hmm...I don't smell anything." He smiled. "Come here you!"

They laughed and the burly Half-orc lifted her from the saddle and squeezed life from her in a friendly embrace.

"It's been too long, old friend," Kayla said catching her breath.

"Much too long, Kayla. Let me take your horse. You've traveled far."

"I left as soon as I got your letter. I've been on the road for two moons straight, but it's nice to get away from the towers." She adjusted her leather war belt that girdled her enchanted robes and held many leather pouches filled with spell ingredients. Stretching to the side, she yawned and rubbed at her aching muscles. "I'm used to sitting in a chair, though, not a saddle."

"Trouble on the road?" Haygen's brow furrowed. Ever the warrior, his double-bladed ax sat cradled in its sheath on his back even now.

"Nothing I couldn't handle," she said brandishing her knurled staff bearing a red crystal headpiece. "I should see Otis though. Wolf nipped me in the leg. Seems to be healing, but best to be sure, you know."

"Dag! Wish you would've let me come get you."

Kayla shook her head. "Not enough time if I wanted to make the funeral. Besides, you know I can take care of myself."

"I know...still." Haygen let out a deep sigh. "Anyhow, we've got our old table at the Fuzzy. Supposed to meet there."

The pair made their way through the crowded vendor stands of Tamberlain's central market. Haygen bought a bottle of sweet wine from a Dwarven brewer. He gripped the cork with his teeth, opened it with a twist and handed the bottle to Kayla.

The Wizard took a long pull letting the cool drink revive her. "Not much has changed since I left." A handful of small children went rushing past them and it brought a smile to her face.

"Well, in town things remain the same," said Haygen, "but trade with Corfé has been difficult with the main route closed."

"That is something we need to discuss later," said Kayla. She rolled her silver hair behind her ears. Her pale blue skin darkened at their pointed tips. "Going to need your help."

"You know you'll have it."

Kayla's eyes softened. Her anxiety from travel melted with him by her side. She took in the smells of cooked meats, fresh fruit pies, and stacks of corn that Men, Elves, Faelings, and Dwarves hoped to sell with smiles on their faces. She missed the people of Tamberlain the most.  This was always her home away from home.