All four of them were covered with dough, and the counters were covered with baking ingredients. Lopsided pancakes were sizzling to a golden brown on the stove's frying pan, orange juice was being squeezed freshly by Hailie, Alaina was unpeeling a banana that would top the pancakes, Whitney was inspecting it all and sending dough flying everywhere, and Marshall was mopping the counters with a damp rag, lips rolled into a smile.

"What's going on?" I spoke up, laughing, knocking slightly on a nearby wall to alert them that I was there. Their heads all jolted up, four expressions of bewilderment.

"Oh shit," Marshall mumbled under his breath so his daughters couldn't hear. "This was supposed to be a surprise."

Whitney dashed over to me, giggling, and clapped loudly, dough exploding and separating in the air as we two laughed and she threw her arms around me in a hug.

"What's this?"

"An attempt at breakfast..." he professed, cheeks tinged pink as he came over and took my hand, leading me to them. "As you can tell, the Mathers household isn't exceptional with cooking."

"Well, you're looking at the girl who blew up her microwave once." I motioned to myself and we all broke into belly laughs. Afterwards, I went to the oven, turning down the heat. Behind me, Marshall came up, his hands curling around my waist and bundling me to him as I felt his face stretch into a grin against my own.

"Let's make the best breakfast ever, Daddy," Whitney exclaimed joyfully.

"Do you guys need some help?" I volunteered.

"Yes." All of their voices became one, and I chuckled at their eager faces, then Hailie and I began squeezing the pulp and juice from the oranges, Alaina prepared the rest of the fruit for the pancakes, and Whitney and Marshall began creating the pancakes.

---

When breakfast was done, we all leaned back, sighing contently, letting the food digest. I briefly went through my phone when the sudden shock hit me. It was Tuesday, and I was supposed to be at work right now. But because of the events of last night and this morning, I'd totally fucking forgotten.

"Oh my God," I mourned softly. Hailie, who was next to me, tilted her head so she could read my facial features.

"What's wrong?" she questioned as Marshall cocked his head, eyes alert and brows wrinkled.

"I skipped work today," I sighed disappointedly, rubbing my forehead.

"It's okay, you spent time with us," Whitney assured.

"I hope my boss doesn't get mad," I prayed.

"What time were you supposed to be there, Dri?" Marshall took my hand, stroking my thumb loyally.

"I don't know, around eight." It was eleven or so now, and I couldn't help but sigh again. "I'll just tell him I can't make it today."

"Do you want me to take you?" His eyes were caring.

"It's okay, I don't really feel like going to work," I shrugged, lightening the mood.

"You know, Dri, it was really great meeting you. We should see you more often," said Alaina, politely, grinning at both me and Marshall. I glimpsed over at him.

"I'd love to."

"I'm glad," was all Marshall mumbled, but his voice was glazed with pride and joy. He squeezed my hand, and conversation caught like fire between the three of them, but our eyes secured, and I felt protected and wanted, even a little bit a part of a family, something I hadn't experienced in the longest time.