25: Overpowered And Afraid

Gerard made sure to keep close to Frank, his eyes darting around nervously every few seconds as the Leviathan loomed before them. The creature still seemed oblivious to their existence, but Gerard knew that wouldn't be the case for long, and they had to act fast if they had any hope of defeating it.

Gerard could see wyrens emerging from the water as well, but they appeared to be just as confused, if not more so than the Leviathan was. The smaller beings were quickly cut down by the angels and demons that had been assigned that task, but Billie Joe had warned them that more would appear with every increasing frequency as time passed, making the ticking of the clock their main enemy in this situation.

Gerard's wings ached as he tried to keep up with Frank, his husband's speed pushing him to his limits and then some, but he refused to lose sight of Frank in fear that he wouldn't be able to find him again, so he ignored the burn in his shoulder blades as they continued to hurtle toward the serpentine creature.

Gerard was surprised to find that he wasn't as terrified as he assumed he'd be once the Leviathan showed its face, not to say that he wasn't afraid, because he was, but it was buried underneath his intense desire to protect Frank coupled with the rush of adrenaline that was currently pumping through his body, strengthening his limbs and his courage, even when the beast shook itself slightly, its head slowly shifting until they were staring straight into one of its reflective irises.

Gerard belatedly realized that Frank was targeting that specific area for his first attack, which was a good choice given the fact that it was one of the few places on its body that weren't coated with scales that looked harder than diamonds. Small groups of angels were attacking its limbs which seemed to be covered in leathery skin, but from what Gerard could tell from his quick glimpses, they weren't doing much to actually hurt it.

Everything was happening so quickly that Gerard barely had time to process the visual pictures he was receiving before it was hidden from view. It was as if he was floating outside of his body, watching his and Frank's rapid flight pattern without actually being a part of it.

The Leviathan towered over him now, amplifying its huge size and armored body a thousandfold, but the realization that this long awaited confrontation had finally reached its peak still refused to sink in, which Gerard was almost thankfully for, because as soon as it did, he was sure he would start panicking, so the longer he could maintain this aloof state of mind the better it would be for all of them.

The group around them which composed of Brendon, Ryan, Ray, and Mikey broke off suddenly, leaving Frank and Gerard alone with Billie Joe taking up the rear. The others began to fly around the creature's head, keeping it occupied while giving Frank an unobstructed path straight to its pupil.

Gerard held his breath as Frank raised his arm once he was in range, the silver blade he carried glinting in the strong sunlight before Frank brought it down heavily, his arms shoving the steel deep into the dark center of the creature's eye. The following roar of pain that emitted from the Leviathan's mouth had Gerard trembling in shock, his hands rising up to cover his ears even though that did nothing to block out the hideous screech.

The Leviathan was so loud that Gerard almost missed Frank's choked exclamation, but somehow he managed to realize that Frank was in trouble. Ignoring his aching head and the now furious beast, he hurried closer to Frank who had pulled away from the creature hurriedly, his fingers struggling to hang onto his sword which was now coated in a thick layer of dark blood.

Almost in slow motion, Gerard watched as the weapon slipped from Frank's grasp, and before Gerard could second guess his actions, he was plummeting after it, his wings pulling flat against his back as he chased the sword that held their only hope of victory.