Chapter 16:Ghosts of the past

"Mommy!Mommy!Wait for me!"

The screams of a little girl could be heard in the backyard of  a house as the little girl chased her mother around.The girl was around 6 years old as she latched onto her mother's leg,giggling.

"I caught you mommy!" The girl laughed as the woman laughed too,picking the girl up as they went back into the house.

"Ah,Jimura....you're home" the woman said quietly as a man entered into the house.

"Dinner." the man demanded,without so much of  a greeting as the woman nodded and gently set her child down and rushed to prepare dinner.

The man now sat at the table,glaring down at the girl who was staring at him in fright.She mustered up the courage and asked:

"D-daddy?Where's S-Subaru?" the girl asked in a hushed tone as the man only intensified his glare at hissed out:

"None of your business,you wench"

The girl only nodded,expecting this kind of response yet still wanting to try and ask.The woman came back from the kitchen as she set the food down in front of the man who began to eat. The woman picked up the girl,and was about to leave when:

"Put her down.I'm going to have a talk with her"

"B-but...it's time for her-"

"Miyuki...." the man warned as the woman hesitantly set the girl down."Leave" the man commanded as the woman reluctantly left,occasionally glancing at the girl before she close the door to the dining room.

The room was silent.Except for the noise the silverware made as the girl stood rigidly,at the same place her mother left her.After awhile,the man finally finished eating as he beckoned the girl to him.The girl walked,and stood at least at arm's length from the man as he stared at her for once,since he's usually glaring at her.

The girl shuffled her feet uncomfortably,but stopped when the man started to speak.

"From today onwards,you will be trained on how to use different sorts of weapons.I do not care how old you are,it's bad enough that Miyuki gave birth to a girl.I want no excuses from you,you hear me?" the man spat out as the girl nodded,frightened.

Suddenly,the door burst open as the woman,who had been eavesdropping on their conversation,came running in.

"Jimura!She's only 6 years old!Please don't do this!" the woman plead as the girl quickly ran to the woman's side,but was pulled back by the man.

"I don't care Miyuki,you were the one who gave birth to her,so it's time she started to be of use.Subaru is already starting to wield a gun,I don't see why she cannot" the man said coldly as the woman's lips trembled as she held the girl,who was on the verge of tears,close to her.

"P-please J-Jimura-"

"ENOUGH!!"

*SLAP*

"Mommy!" the girl cried out as she shook out of the man's grasp and ran to the woman as she started crying."Mommy!Mommy!"

The girl was roughly pulled back as the man hissed in her ear.

"If you don't want her to suffer,you will do well to obey me."

The girl nodded quickly,desperate to get to her mother as the man finally let her go and she ran into her mother's arms.

~~~

It was night time at the Winter Wolves headquarters yet gunshots and screams of pain could be heard.Another mob group,the Heaven Contractors,had infiltrated their headquarters.Inside,a girl and her mother,were hiding behind a statue as the girl kept firing rounds off at the enemy.

Suddenly....

*BANG*

The woman,that was behind the girl fell,a bullet embedded in her heart.

"NO!MOTHER!!!!"

The girl hollered as she took out the man who killed her and pulled her off into a cabinet,unnoticed and checked the woman's pulse.

Sobs racked the girl's body as tears dripped down her cheeks.

Her mother was gone....and it was all her fault!!

"Mother...please...wake up!!"

The girl shook the woman but to no avail.

"Please...mother....MOTHER!!!!'"

~~~

"AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!" I screamed as I sat up on the bed,tears dripping down my cheeks and sweat all over my body.My breathing was ragged as I tried to control it.

It's just a dream...it's just a goddamn dream....

I kept telling myself.Soryu,who woke up the minuet he heard my screams was holding me as he tried to console me.I let myself snuggle into him,as I tried to forget that horrific nightmare.

"Carolyn?Are you alright?"

"I-I didn't mean to get her killed...I didn't mean to....." I choked out as I started to cry.

"Shhh...it's ok Carolyn...it's ok"

Soryu rubbed soothing circles on my back as he whispered words of comfort in my ear.

I slowly lost consciousness....listening to the sound of Soryu's heartbeat.