The One Where Nicole is Fine

K a t i e

When Nicole came in after being gone for more than an hour and a half, she was all sniffles as she gazed down at the floor. Her shoulders were sunk as she treaded to her bedroom, and I couldn't help but wonder what went wrong. She was also soaking wet, but that was really the least of my worries. She wouldn't talk to me, and I needed to know what happened.

So, the following day, I ask our friends if they knew what happened. Jen was absolutely clueless. She and Nicole spoke at the coffee shop, but Jen said she seemed fine while she was there. Luke hadn't seen her except for that morning before she left for work and Michael was at work all day. Harry was on his way over to tell me something, and I'd ask him then if he knew of anything that happened.

We were all in my apartment, whispering amongst ourselves, when Harry arrives. Before he can say anything, I ask him my question first.

"Do you know what's wrong with Nic?" I inquire. "She came in last night extremely upset and hasn't been out of her room all day. I've tried talking to her but she just mumbles that she's fine, which obviously isn't true."

"Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. Besides something else. I ran into Nicole last night and she told me that she's in love with me." He informs everyone. Everyone else's faces are surprised or shocked, while mine is filled with rage.

"You're the reason she's so upset!" I yell, stomping over to him and hitting him in the arm several times. "What the hell is your problem?"

"What're you talking about?" He looks at me as if I'm crazy. "It's not like I feel the same way, Katie. I'm not gonna play with her feelings."

"I want you to think about it like this; what if when you told Delilah that you were in love with her, what if she didn't feel the same way? And she let you down the same way you let Nicole down? I understand that you have a right to your feelings, but she's been through so much. She's been confused about so much, but the only thing she's ever been completely certain about is that she's wanted you." I point my finger at him, give him a stern look, then go to Nicole's door so I can try to comfort her.

I knock. "Nicole?"

No answer.

"Nicole!" I knock again. When I don't get an answer for a second time, I jiggle the door handle then open it once I see that's it's unlocked.

The room is completely dark. Even the curtains are drawn, and it's such a sunny day. The only light in the room now is from where I've opened the door.

"Are you awake?" I whisper-ask, feeling the wall for the light switch.

A sniffle. "Yes." I flick the lights on, finding Nicole completely under the covers, head and all. I let out a small sigh and walk over to her bed after shutting her door.

"Will you talk to me?" I ask. "Harry told us what happened."

"I don't want to talk about it." Her voice is shaky. It's heartbreaking to hear her like that. I swear I could hurt Harry badly for doing this to her, but I won't because it wouldn't solve anything.

"Nic, please." I tug the covers off of her. She wipes her eyes and slowly sits up, glancing over to me with such sadness I could cry. And I don't ever cry.

"I just-I feel so fucking stupid." She begins. "I knew he wouldn't feel the same way. I knew it, but I had to tell him anyway. Stupid, idiot me had to tell him my feelings. And now I'm screwed over and heartbroken because I had the tiniest bit of hope that he would feel the same way." I slide in beside her and wrap an arm around her. "If I could take it back, I would. I'd take it back a million times. I should've listened to you guys. Fuck, why didn't I listen to you guys?" She looks over to me, eyes glossed over, as she awaits an answer.

"Because you're stubborn." I answer truthfully. She rolls her eyes then sighs, burying her face in her hands. "But that's one of the many loving qualities about you. And if my brother isn't the one that sweeps you off your feet, then so be it. There are plenty of guys out there who would be lucky to have you, because you'll love them with all you have. And they'll make you forget about your feelings towards Harry. You're gonna have a great guy some day, Nic, but you can't mope around waiting for Harry to love you back." She glances back at me, and sends me a small grin.

"You think so?" She inquires.

"I know so." I send her a reassuring smile then give her a hug before letting go and pulling her off the bed. "C'mon. There are people out there that are worried about you. We've been waiting to see you all day."

"I'm so lucky to have you guys as friends." She smiles then walks out into the living room with me. Everyone glances up once they hear our footsteps, and they smile when they see us.

"Hey, Nic." They all say in unison.

"Hi." She waves, then takes a seat beside Luke. "I'm sorry if I worried you guys."

"Hey, don't worry about it. We're just glad to see you out and about." Luke reassures her, patting her arm.

"Nicole, are we okay?" Harry inquires. "I don't want to be the reason that you're so upse-"

"Don't worry about it." Nicole interrupts him. "I'm a big girl. I'll be fine."

"Okay." He nods. "I'm gonna get going. I'll catch you guys later." With that, he's gone. And we all start chatting together, making plans to go to the movies later in the evening.