The One Where Katie and Jen Eat Lunch

J e n

It's a typical day. I'm crammed behind my desk, typing away at my computer. I'm busy, lost in a world of imaginative people and made-up scenarios. The best thing about this is that I get paid to write books. I've written a few, but nothing good enough to get on the New York Times Bestseller list. That's my major dream, and I'm hoping this book is the one to get me on it.

"Hey." Katie greets me as she steps up to my desk, sending me a smile.

"Oh, hi." I say. "What're you doing here?" I glance at the clock to see that it's close to twelve-thirty, so she's probably here to see if I want to grab lunch together, or something along those lines.

"You wanna grab some lunch with me?" She inquires. "Got some things to talk about with you."

"Sure, that sounds great." I gather my purse and phone before saving my progress and locking my computer.

We head out, going to a nearby restaurant. Once we're sat down, she glances over to me and opens her mouth.

"Do you think that friends can be more than friends?" She asks.

"Aw, do you have a crush on me?" I joke, gaining a grin from her. "Honestly, I don't think so. Like, what if they were to break up? That'd ruin your friendship."

"Yeah." She nods, seeming a bit upset. "Yeah. You're right."

"Why?" I ask. "Do you have a crush on someone? Is it Michael? Or Luke?"

She seems panicked, but answers quickly. "No, no. Uh, I'm talking about Nicole. She's had a crush on Harry for the longest, she's practically in love with him, so-"

"Well, I don't know about that situation." I interrupt without meaning to. "It's kind of different, in a way. It must suck to be in love with someone who's married, though."

"Yeah, but I don't think he'll be married soon." She says. "He doesn't need to be married to her anyway. She's such, just, I can't believe she cheated on him. She doesn't deserve him."

"Hey." I rub her shoulder. "Calm down. He'll realize that, I'm sure."

"He better file for divorce." She mumbles. A waiter comes up, gives us our drinks, asks for our order, then leaves a few minutes later.

"So, Nicole likes Harry?" I inquire.

"More like head over heels in love with him." She informs me. "It's cute. But she's gonna get hurt because she isn't ever going to tell him her feelings for him, and that's going to ruin her because she wants him to feel the same way. You know. Just, I'm concerned."

"I can understand why." I say. "Maybe it's better this way though."

"Yeah, maybe so." She nods. "I think it'd be kinda cute to see them together though, honestly." She tucks some hair behind her hair just as the waiter comes over to our table and sets our plates down. I say nothing more on the matter. I think to myself that they would be cute together, but it's better if they stay just friends.

-

It's after work, and everyone has met up at Katie and Nic's place. We all are enjoying pizza together as we lounge around the television. After Katie told me about Nicole's feelings, I've been able to tell that she definitely is in love just by the way she looks at him. She stares at him with stars in her eyes, and it's really cute to say the least. It's sad that he doesn't know, because I'm sure she could make him extremely happy.

"How's work going, Nic?" Michael asks after he's eat a slice of pizza.

"It's going good." She smiles. "I love the daycare. It's so fun working with the kids."

"My aunt is easy to work with?" Luke glances over to her while grabbing another piece.

"She's alright." She shrugs. "She's pretty strict. Doesn't really like the rowdiness of the kids. Or the mess they make."

"Eh, you've got to ignore her. She's actually pretty nice." He sends her a smile then takes a bite. Luke looks over at me, blushes a bit, then smiles and looks away. I get kind of confused but brush it off, shrugging my shoulders to myself. I finish my piece then wipe off my hands with a napkin and stand up.

"I'm gonna get going, guys." I say. "Gotta go check on my sister. I'll see you lot tomorrow." They all say their goodbyes in unison then I head out, still kind of wondering what Luke's blush was about.