9: Infiltration

In the media is the game theme music for Fabul.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
More weeks pass after my sister took off to search for Cecil. It's now been over nearly two months since his disappearance. In the meantime, Golbez took a group of Red Wings to lay siege to Damcyan Castle. Word is, that the castle now lays in ruins and it's King and Queen dead. I can only assume the same of the crown prince.

I'm scared for Rosa. Of course, she has her White Magic and her staff, but I don't think she took a bow with her.... My sister is far too gentle to be searching for him alone. Anything could happen to her.....

Instructing the men in the incantation secretly every night once the sun has fallen, we've progressed greatly. Every man in now nearly fluent in it. At least, I hope so...

I roll over on my side. All this training has been able to prove so far is that we can recite every word by heart. But.. What if it only works so much? What if the magic attacking them is far too strong? I groan quietly in frustration. It's times like these that I wish I were capable of magic like Rosa... Perhaps I'd be more useful. Just maybe I could do more for us....

The door to our quarters slams open suddenly. And loudly as well. I jump off the cot and see Commander Kain in full armor. "Wake yourselves up! Get your armor and weapons on and move out!" In just a few movements, I'm on the floor, strapping on my armor.

Outside, the moon is slowly sinking in the west, and the sun beginning to rise. In the dim light, my blue-gray armor seems to glow a bit. I shove my dragon-faced helmet over my head and secure it before pulling the quiver over one shoulder and my bow over another. A small spear goes directly over my back. Once I've pulled my gloves on, I attach a shield to my wrist. In my boots, I stash a single elixir and my dagger.

The other Dragoons are still assembling as I make my way to Kain. "What's the status?" I ask. He flips his face guard up quickly.

"Lord Golbez is flying to Fabul for their Wind Crystal. At his suggestion, the King has ordered the Dragoons to accompany him on the mission."

Fabul...? We are attacking Fabul? But... That's simply a kingdom of peaceful people with warrior monks....

And for another Crystal.....

Seeing my doubt clearly, I'm surprised when Kain grabs my arm. "King's orders, Lumen. We aren't to question them." I nod.

"Of course." We turn to the rest of the crew, some of which still haven't assembled all of their armor yet. "How much time do we have before we go?"

"His Majesty stated we are to take flight as soon as possible." He turns back to our men. "Is this really the fastest they can assemble?" Despite the urgency, a smirk escapes onto my face.

"What kind of captain would I be if I couldn't get the lead out of my own squadron?" I face them all.

"HEY! LAST EIGHT MEN TO GET THEIR LIFE TOGETHER GET TO CLEAN THE PRIVY!" I bark.

Commander Kain stares dumbfounded as suddenly all of the men who had just been lazily putting armor on, begin to slide everything on quickly in hyper speed. I walk over and single out the eight men who haven't yet finished. Unsurprisingly, Riley's one of them. "Well, I guess you eight are on privy duty all this week," I draw out.

"Lumen, we don't have time for this!" Kain snaps impatiently. "We're taking the ones who are ready now." He sends a glare at the slow men. "The rest of you are to remain here. When we return, those privies had better damn well be spotless" A simultaneous gulp moves through the men.