2: A Slap in the Face

Biggs lands the airship in the castle barracks and leads us off. He brings the nine of us down the halls of Baron Castle. Tapestries cover the walls, and a red carpet runs across the entire walkway. After several turns, he brings us into a courtyard. Four men stand at the center.

The first one to catch my attention is a man in the billowing deep blue robes of a Black Mage. A sour expression is on his face. Next to him is a middle aged man wearing the simple clothing of a seafarer. However, the stripes on his shoulder identify him as an officer.
I don't notice the other two men at first. I mean, I saw them, but my eyes just skim over them the first time. Anyways, both of them wear dark colored armor. One's armor has spikes, and the other's helmet is shaped like an animal and completely covers all of his face except his mouth.

"Welcome to Baron Castle, boys," Biggs announces. "We're going to sort you out by-"

"We'll take it from here, Biggs," the man in spikey armor states cordially. From the sound of his voice, he's fairly young. He faces the nine of us.

The man dressed for sea travel steps forward. "Terrin Nimbus, commanding officer of the Baron Marines." He steps aside for the Mage.

"I am Chief of Magic, and Head Black Mage, Agate Sparks."

"Cecil Harvey. Baron Redwings," the man in spiked armor says simply. The fourth man snorts.

"Since my friend is too modest, I'll tell you. That's Lord Captain Cecil Harvey to you." He jerks his chin. "Kain Highwind, Commander of the Baron Dragoons."

Cecil speaks. "I will tell you, not every man is destined to serve on the front lines. That does not mean the other tasks are any less honorable. Baron is in demand for a wide variety of tasks."

"We'll only send you home if you're beyond useless," Kain adds.

"Any volunteers?" Sparks asks. The Auburn twins come forward. "Name?"

"Joshua Auburn."

"Nicholas Auburn."

"Any idea what you want to do?" Nimbus asks them. Both gingers grin and shake their head. Kain facepalms.

"Let's save some time. If you don't know what you are able to do, step forward." The entire group surges, leaving only Ashton, another boy, and I. Sparks's face turns red and he looks as though he wants to wring their necks. The Marine dares to crack a small grin.

"Well, Agate, it could've been worse. At least we only have six out of nine recruits without a clue." He peers back at the group and motions Biggs over. "Biggs and I will take this group and show them the works. A little bit of everything." The soldier nods and gathers the men to exit the courtyard. Cecil's gaze falls on the three of us.

"Looks like its just you three left. What can you already do?" The boy I don't know wobbles forward. His hands are shaking from his nervousness.

"I-i-I'm Cato Evans. I know some b-bl-Black Magic..." A tiny flame flares up in his palm. Sparks looks him over and nods, looking satisfied at last.

"You'll do." Ashton comes forward with a different approach. He stands to his full height and his gray eyes meet Cecil's and Kain's.

"Ashton Wheeler. My father taught me the basics for machinery. Is there a way I could be an apprentice for an engineer?" The younger men exchange a glance, and Cecil chuckles slightly.

"Cid gets dibs on him." Kain nods.

"That oughta' make the old man happy." He turns to me. "You're last."

Like Ashton, I hold the Dragoon's gaze without flinching. Under his visor, bright blue eyes glitter.

It really is him. I don't remember his voice being this gravelly though...

"Lumen," I say quickly. "I'm an archer."

"Is there a surname to go with that?" Kain asks. I shake my head.

"How good of an archer are you?" Cecil presses.

"I never miss." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I regret saying that. Kain's gloved hand smacks me across the face. I reach up with a hand towards the stinging. My hand pulls away red with my blood.

"You will learn to speak with respect to your commanding officers," he growls.

"Kain, you can't just smack the new recruits. It wasn't that big of a deal-"

"Shut up, Cecil. Recruits will learn discipline," he states coolly, glaring at me from under the visor. I bring my chin up, regardless of the blood streaming down my face. I will not wince in front of Cato and Ashton, or the Mage and knights.

"Understood, sir," I respond with the same amount of ice Kain used previously.

"Kain, you really did hit him a little hard..." Cecil continues, but stops when Kain leaves and returns with a target.

He tosses it onto a hook high upon the wall. His hard glance settles on me.

"I'll forgive your rudeness to my friend if you can hit the bull's eye."

"Kain, there's no way a new recruit can possibly hit-" I slip off my bow and latch on an arrow.

~*~*~*~

"Here, hold it like this..." Weathered hands adjusted the curved wood in my little hands.

"Like this, Father?" He beamed.

"That's it! Perfect! Now pull back the string and let it use its wings." Next to us, Rosa couldn't latch on her arrow.

"Daddy, I can't get it..." He went over to help her.

"What are we going to do with you, Rosie?" I pulled back my string towards a target pinned on a hay bale. The shaft flew, but my arrow went on the roof of our house. Father looked up.

"Look where you aim first."

~*~*~*~

That's right; my father taught me the ways of an Archer. He taught my sister and I both. I arch my bow up, steadying it with my forearm. Steady now...

Let it fly.

I release. I don't have to look up. I hear the piercing sound, and know I've hit the target. I look down. Everyone is staring at me. "What?" Immediately, they look away. Except for Cecil and Kain. Kain stares at me for a few seconds, then shrugs.

"I apologize then."

"What do you think, Kain? Is he Red Wing or Dragoon material?" Kain shakes his head.

"I want Lumen with my Dragoons. We need an archer."

"The Red Wings need archers too!" He protests.

"You have Rosa. You don't need an archer if you have her." Internally, I wince. Even now, with a new identity, a new face, I'm still only second best to Rosa.

"Rosa doesn't come on missions," he argues. "She's a White Mage-"

"This conversation is over, Cecil," Kain says flatly. "Bring Rosa with you on missions then. The kid belongs with my Dragoons." Before Cecil can respond, he adds, "go take Ashton to see Cid. Old man will be ecstatic to know he has another apprentice."

"Fine," he grumbles. Once Cecil leaves with Ashton, and Sparks with Cato, Kain turns to me.

"Come on then, Lumen. I'll show you to the Dragoons' quarters." Quarters? As in, we all sleep in the same place?

I'm screwed.