The Witch's Trees: The Origin Of Broccoli

Once there was a witch. A young witch named Arlana. All of the people in the kingdom despised her with all their hearts, even the witch herself, because she hated the things she was doing. There was an even worse witch in the kingdom, the evil witch Delora. She had taken control of Arlana and made her do her bidding. No one knew of Delora, therefore all of the blame for the horrid deeds was supposedly Arlana's fault. Arlana has become like a servant to Delora, and not all of the things Delora has made Arlana do have been horrible. Arlana has tried many times to escape Delora, but all of her attempts have failed.
One day as Gytha, Delora's servant, passed by, Delora told Arlana to make her a bowl of soup. Instead of conquering one up, she ran out to get the ingredients before Delora could stop her. Arlana knew that if she ran far enough, Delora's enchantment over her would disappear. As she ran, Arlana began to slow down. Suddenly she froze. She couldn't move, not even blink. Arlana felt a chill go through her, from her head, slowly, slowly, crawling down her spine like spiders all the way to her toes. Delora hissed, "There you are. Were you trying to escape? You must know by now that escaping cannot be achieved." Arlana could tell that by the sinking feeling in her stomach, it was probably true. Still she did not give up.
Another time Delora ordered Arlana to plant a whole orchard of crab apple trees and use her magic to speed up their growing. Arlana wasn't sure how to escape, especially with Delora watching her from out the window. So she planted the crab apple trees, one by one, without complaint. When it was time to use her magic, it was almost flawless. She grew them until they had beautiful flowers, and the apples would be ready in about a month. Then, since Delora had a liking to apple products, Arlana expected to be making all sorts of apple items, such as apple pie, applesauce, apple cream (a secret recipe only known by witches), cinnamon apples, apple cider, and even apple pancakes! All of these sounded good to Arlana, but of course she didn't get any. She only ate water and noodles, and every once in a while fruit or milk.
Arlana looked upon the apple trees, and noticed one that somehow seemed different from all the other ones. On closer inspection, Arlana noticed a heart carved into it. The was nothing else different than the other trees, just a heart cut in one side and a sense of magic coming off it. All the trees had a bit of magic in them, because Arlana used magic to grow them, but this tree's magic seemed stronger.
Two months passed and the trees had grown. It was winter, but because of Arlana's magic, (and some more magic she secretly gave them while she was picking apples) the trees could survive through the winter. Arlana figured that even if Delora found out she gave them extra magic, she wouldn't care because it meant she could get apples all winter too.
Arlana quickly learned she was wrong. Delora was mad. Very mad. Delora didn't care if it benefitted her, Delora only cared that someone did something without her telling them to. When Delora figured out it was Arlana, she raced out into the orchard, eager to duel, or even throw an simple punch. When the vile witch found Arlana she pounced, like the mighty tiger. Arlana used her magic to wriggle out of her grasp. Delora was so angry she forgot that she could tell Arlana what to do, even things like don't fight back. Luckily, she never even thought of trying. They started to duel, circling each other while sending beams of magic at the other, and dodging and ducking to avoid the magic. Arlana started to get tired. She couldn't send off as many beams or move as fast as before. She decided she would try her last hope: tie Delora up and run as far as she could. All whilst ducking and dodging, Arlana conquered up a rope and threw it at Delora. "Ha!" She crowed, "You missed!!!" Arlana knew there was only one last slim chance of survival. She ran up to Delora and tackled her like a professional football player. She threw Delora up against one of the trees, but to her surprise, Delora wasn't bleeding. Delora was being sucked into the tree. Arlana wanted to get rid of Delora, but not like this. She tried to save the evil Delora, but to no avail. When Delora had completely disappeared into the tree she noticed that it was the tree with a heart engraved into it. As she gazed at the tree trunk a snake-like carving was engraved into the tree; looking as if the snake was slithering around the heart. When the snake stopped moving, it suddenly sent out a beam of blindingly pure white light, temporarily blinding Arlana and everyone else in range.
When Arlana could see again, she could not see the tree, the orchard of trees that used to be before her. She looked all around her, not finding anything, until... she looked down. There she saw a patch strange trees, about 1 inch tall. Arlana picked one and examined it. The top of the trees looked like green buds instead of leaves. The trees were green, slightly lighter than grass on the trunk, and dark green on the leaves part, darker than a cucumber. Arlana decided to name it Delora's tree cucumbers.
Unfortunately, the name didn't stick. Arlana's great-granddaughter, Corinna, renamed it Broccoli, named for her brother Coli. The name stuck and we still use it to this day.

This is how broccoli was created.