"Is everything alright with you?" Xavier said, squeezing my shoulders.

"Sort of."

"Care to share?"

"Not really."

"Please?"

"Shut up, Xavier."

"Well you're sweet."

"As honey."

"What happened to you?" Xavier shook his head, utterly surprised.

"I was with the RA for a while," I crossed my arms over my chest. "It was life-changing."

"Are you joking?" Xavier raised an eyebrow. "You're teasing me, right? Are you getting back at me for all the times I teased you? If so, I apologize," he said humbly. "You're starting to scare me."

"Why won't you believe me?" I started walking. "Why do I sound so different? You've been sleeping a while. It's time to wake up, Xavier. I've returned."

"You might have, but your awfully frightful presence hasn't. What have they done to you?"

"What have they done to me?" I whirled on him. "Xavier, be glad I'm back. You're alive. Don't worry about me."

He sighed. "If you say so. But remember, if there's anything bothering you, you can tell me."

"Great," I said with a sigh, tossing my braid over my shoulder.

He smiled.

"His Majesty would like to see you," the servant girl said after a low curtsy the next morning, and I nodded. He wanted information.

"It was a servant, your majesty," I told him. "She poisoned Xavier, but I have not seen her since. She escaped. I was told by the boy. He proved to be of help," I said, pointing to Lance who was again, on his knees, close by me. He had ribbons of blood dribbling down his wrists and it sickened me, though I couldn't show my distaste.

A guard was standing beside Lance, ready.

"And this boy, whose child is he?" he asked, rubbing his chin.

"Son of the Leader, Janine."

The King's hand froze. "Who were the other leaders?"

"One man and a woman named Clarice."

The King stood up abruptly, fury in his eyes. "And the girl's name?"

"I don't know." The lie rolled off my tongue easily. "I didn't stay around her long enough."

I was hoping Lance would play along, but he wouldn't even look at my face. His green eyes were focused on the King; taunting, mischievous. Xavier sat on the other side of the King, his throne smaller but posh enough all the same. His leg was crossed over the other, his chin rested on his fist, cape draped over the arm of the throne. The crown rested on his head, tilted slightly. Xavier watched Lance carefully.

The prince turned his head and caught me looking, a sudden grin appearing on his lips. He winked at me and I closed my eyes, turning away and letting out a deep breath of annoyance.

"What were you planning down there?" the King asked Lance. "What were you street rats thinking you could accomplish?"

Lance laughed. It was a cold and angry laugh, and he shook his head. "We're not the rats, your majesty," he spat the word. "It is your kind who is the rats, murdering everyone who threatens your lordship."

My breath caught in my throat, but Lance's eyes stayed on the King.

"You're lucky, boy," the King sneered, "I am feeling merciful today. You will not be hung. Assassin, take him to the Dungeon."