TWO

They trusted me.

I held the kingdom on my shoulders, and even though king never showed it, he knew it too. He'd appointed me as the head guard and his personal adviser. Every meeting, every ball, I stood next to him—people knew me, but no one knew I was his assassin. The ones in the castle had been sworn to secrecy.

"You carried out the plan?" I heard the king's voice as soon as I stepped through the doors of the throne room.

"Of course, Your Majesty." I bowed low.

"You're exceptionally clean today," the king said, relaxing on his throne—jeweled mahogany.

He was talking about blood. "I shot him in the head from a distance. He didn't even see me," I lied. When you were someone like me, you had to lie to stay out of trouble. The king was frightening when he was angry.

He nodded in approval.

Just then, someone entered, boots clicking against the polished floors. I didn't turn my head towards the intruder, but the look on the king's face said it all.

"Xavier, my son."

"Father," he greeted.

Xavier Cane was the most troublesome prince I'd known in my entire life, and I knew many princes. He was not someone I enjoyed being around. Even the sound of his voice put me on edge, but I showed no hint of any emotion towards him. He strolled past me, the scarlet cape dancing around his ankles. His dark curls showed off their shine from the many chandeliers hanging above us. Xavier's black leather boots completed the dark vibe he sent off. He wasn't horrible looks-wise, but his attitude was one any assassin—or any human being for that matter—could hate. Unless, of course, you were one of the jittery female servants or royalty that visited the palace just to get a look at him.

"Why are you here?" the king asked warily, and Xavier bowed, making sure he stood right beside me.

"I just wanted to drop by and congratulate Adalia on her latest mission," Xavier said with a smile, glancing at me out of the corners of his golden eyes and winking.

I set my jaw, hands clasped behind my back.

Xavier decided to continue. "How was your latest mission?"

"None of your business," I said smoothly, with a covert scowl.

"Now, now, Adalia—"

"Don't call me that," I scowled, my eyes shooting daggers.

"Fine," he shrugged, unfazed. "Now, now, Assassin, that's not how you talk to your prince," Xavier tsked. His lightly tanned skin showed that he'd been spending more time outdoors than usual—probably riding. "You're staring."

"Leave my presence."

"Let's take this outside, shall we?" He motioned towards the king who watched us through narrowed eyes. We walked out of the throne room, and as soon as the doors shut, I hit him as hard as I could dare, and with enough force to rattle his bones. He staggered back as the guards watched, but they didn't dare make a move towards me.

Xavier kept his cool and regained his balance. "I guess we're even, then." I turned on my heel and stalked off. He fell into step beside me.

"Why are you always so angry?"

He had the nerve to ask. I pivoted on my heel to face him, stopping abruptly and looked up into his eyes, scowling. "I'm really not. I just loathe you."

The prince smiled at me and rested a hand on my shoulder. He pitied me.

"One day, you'll be like the other girls and try to court me. It happens all the time; the hatred is just a cover for the true feelings underneath."