Cynosure

<a/n> Ladies and gentlemen, I grant you the finale to end all finales. Now, here's something I want from you. #TeamCru or #TeamJesse. I WANT DEBATES PEOPLE!

I want to know what my fans think!
You opinion is literally gold to me!

2018 edit: You guys told me the original ending was confusing so I just re-wrote it to make it a bit more user friendly. Hope this helps! Sorry for updating it like literally 3 years after it was published. I treasure this series so much, and I love that people are still taking joy in reading it after several years of age.

"I'm sorry Cru. I have to go."

And with that, the woman with the composure of steel melted, and hastened away.

Cru sighed dejectedly. Jesse gave her a new meaning to life. His brother made her feel like she deserved a second chance at love despite the cheating and the horribly complicated past she had.
Cru couldn't satisfy any of those conditions; he would only fuel her guilt. The mogul gathered all of his paintings, and prepared a rather early wedding gift.

She rushed to his house, spamming the doorbell impatiently. She could hear it ring from the outside but nothing was happening. She pulled on the letter box, having it snap back into place creating a loud clack...
Still nothing.
Desperate, she gazed through the window, but there was nothing there.

No answer.

She called his phone, the tone ringing several times before the condescending automated voice told her he was unavailable. She cursed and shoved it into her bag, heading back to her car.

No answer.

She drove to his old workplace. It hadn't changed; it was still very tacky. The club owner greeted her but she cut him short.
"Have you seen Jesse."
He clicked his tongue disapprovingly.
"I should hope I never see him"
She ignored the rest of his sentence, rushing out. The club owner tutted disapprovingly again.

No answer.

There wasn't many places she knew of that he would go to. The only place she could think of was that Godforsaken cafe they had had their first date in. She hurried in, the bell jingling to acknowledge her presence.
"One venti, semi-skimmed, extra shot, extra-hot, sugar-free caramel macchiato"
The barista didn't write anything down, and simply shouted
"Complicated caramel Macchiato."
"What?"
The barista shrugged.
"We have a customer come in all the time asking for it."
Her heart skipped a beat. That had to be Jesse.
"Handsome?"
"Yeah."
She almost jumped for joy.
"Long red hair?"
The barista furrowed her brows.
"No."
Her heart sunk.
"He came in earlier but..."
<y/n> took her drink, thanked the barista and left without hearing her finish.
She groaned and took a sip of her drink. Surprisingly, they had it down correctly. But one thought lingered in her mind.

No answer.

She searched and called and searched again but to no avail. It was getting dark, and so were her hopes of finding him. Defeated, she grumbled, reluctantly heading home.

She parked her car and exited the vehicle, locking it and slipping the key in her pocket.

She felt really dumb. She had been running around like a headless chicken chasing after her ex. Felt oddly familiar. She pushed Cru to the back of her mind and began her ascent up the stairs. For what it was worth, at least she had her caramel macchiato. She headed to her door number and stopped in shock.

There he was. Sat next to her door, cold and alone. She hurried to his side.
"Jesus, Jesse are you ok."
He looked up at her and a smile graced his lips.
"Hey."
She helped him up and ushered him inside.

"Why are you outside my apartment?" She murmured. He held his drink and sighed.
"I guess I missed you. It's pathetic but I didn't know where to find you so I just waited where I knew you'd return."
She scowled.
"You idiot."

They sat in silence, relishing in one another's company. There was a comfort in the mutually agreed silence, but there was also the ache for touch, warmth and a shared love that neither of them were willing to admit.
"I might as well say it, since you're here." <y/n> murmured, clearing her throat. Jesse perked up.

"It's been a rough few days, I guess. And I hear you went out with Jasmine."
Jesse visibly winced. <y/n> laughed
"It's ok. I'm not mad or anything but..."
She chose her next words carefully.
"I heard from Alisha that you two had... kissed."
The words left her mouth with a sour taste. Jesse went to answer but she hushed him.
"It kind of hurt. Not kind of. It really hurt. Like the sort of pain that cuts you to the core and kills you each time you think about it." She admitted, avoiding eye contact with him.
"What i'm trying to say is that our fight was stupid and i'm sorry for reacting so badly."

She finally looked up at Jesse, whose beam told her what she needed to know. He leaned in slowly, pulling her gently, giving her leeway to pull back if she wanted to, but she didn't, and his lips met hers in an all but familiar tango.

She retracted the kiss and ended up engulfed in the safety of his arms. She nestled into him.
That scent was comforting.
"I love you, Jesse." She murmured. He only held her tighter, as if he never wanted to let her go. She didn't want him to let her go either.

No answer.

At least, not verbally.