Shattered Memories

"Jesse!" a sharp tone called, red stilettos strutting towards him like thundering heels. The performance was a success. <y/n> was more than pleased. She knew that charm would come in handy, but he had been overusing it behind the scenes.
"Yes?" He spoke, his voice naturally oozing like soft caramel.
"Don't get cocky." <y/n> scolded, and Jesse couldn't help his amused beam. Cocky was not a word normally associated with him. It suited his brother more, but he didn't let the thought bother him. She took his amusement as smugness, and she frowned.
"You're supposed to be professional." She glared. He controlled his smile, and it contorted into a work-faced mask.
"My apologies. But I must say, I don't believe i've ever seen you smile." He noted, smiling himself so that maybe she would too. <y/n>'s mouth did the opposite as such. She groaned dismissively.

"Well, maybe if I didn't have incompetent staff, I would crack the odd smile." She frowned, glaring daggers. Jesse smiled with mirth, resisting the smirk tugging at his crystalline lips.
"I'm sure they're not incompetent in other areas" he grinned. <y/n>'s cheeks flared scarlet at the risqué comment. She ignored it (as best she could) and rolled her eyes once more.
"You're employed for a reason, Jesse." She scolded. He cast a light chuckle and beamed endearingly.
"And for that I am eternally grateful. I love working here." He replied, gazing dotingly at her. She scoffed distastefully. Love wasn't a word she was particularly fond of. If she had to define it, it would be weakness; burden. Love was a car crash waiting to happen. Things were broken, people scarred, and perspectives changed. How could anyone view love as strength?

"I need to sort an outfit for tomorrow, i'll be back soon." Jesse spoke, chancing with a cocky smirk before exiting his dressing room. <y/n> sat quietly, pondering; reforging dubious memories. Who was the last person she loved? Why was she asking?

She could never forget him.

"<y/n>. Stand still. I can't sketch like this. Up... like this... Yes! Stay there, darling." Cru barked, lifting my chin with his hand. I kept my radiant smile as he made sketch marks on his paper. How I wanted to choke him for making me do this. Why could I smile despite his awkward orders? I loved the tranquility of his work face; he looked picturesque as he concentrated; one brow would wrinkle and his eyes would gleam as he furiously sketched to his heart's content.
"It's almost done." He declared before adding a few finishing touches. He glanced up at me, pencil poking his pad.
"Bloody hell, you moved again. I'm going to fire you if you move so much as an inch without my permission."
I knew he didn't mean it entirely; nevertheless I complied. I hated him so much, but at the same time... Few would even have the audacity to order me around.

"Fine. I give up. It's done. You can look now, but do not touch."

He turned the pad around, and there on the pad, with beautiful hair, a porcelain complexion, shiny eyes and a Godly figure was Cru, and beside him a simple human in a barely distinguishable red dress, and a very suggestive position. My smile faltered and my arms crossed.
"Is that why you were insistent that I stood here for an hour?" I stated in disbelief. The corner of his lip curved.
" Naturally." He smirked proudly. I was in awe of his bravery, but I loved him for it.
"I'm going to ruin your reputation." I threatened.

He laughed.

"Empty threats, my sweet." He murmured, his voice dropping from playful to gravelly. Roughly, he shoved me against a wall. I could feel the heat from his gaze as he relished at the thought of my body, his eyes devouring the sight my barely clothed figure. He leaned in, and my heart beat rapidly as he tucked a stray hair safely behind my ear. I could feel his hot breath on me.
"I bet I could ruin you faster." He whispered.

Those were the happier days to be missed. But the rest? Not so much.

"<y/n>. I'm busy." Cru sighed, irked as I brought in a tray of food. He glanced at the silver platter and scowled.
"Is that my art deco platter?" He shouted, staring at the polished tray. I kept a poker face, uttering an apology and silently left his study. I was mad. Flaming mad. Annoyed, I walked back in and thrust the platter down.
"All I did was bring you some food. I was being considerate." I said through gritted teeth. He ignored me. Anger flared through me, and I picked up an empty teacup, feelings its weight in my hands. I lifted it, aiming. Cru was too distracted with his 'work' to notice anything. Before I could throw, a hand caught my arm and pulled me out of the room.

I struggled against the hands and growled.
"Let go of me!" I demanded.
When the woman finally let go of me, she scolded me.
"Even as a guest, you should know better than to attack the master on his own property." She chided. I looked up at the woman, and recognised the face immediately.
"You're the housekeeper." I stated. She ignored my useless comment and continued to lecture me until tears pricked my eyes. She stopped when she noticed the glassy sheen.
"I'm sorry; was I too harsh?" She asked softly. I shook my head, looking to the floor so she wouldn't see my face. She gripped my shoulders firmly.
"What's wrong?"

Helplessly, I cried. Expressing anger was not an option anymore, so I wept quietly instead.
I didn't dare glance up. The thought of someone seeing a fashion mogul's fiancé crying made me shiver. His reputation would be tarnished, and so would mine.
"It's just me here. What happened?" She smiled. I refused to lift my head.
"Did the master scold you?" She asked, gently stroking my back. The warmth was comforting. I gave a curt nod through tears. My face was wet with salty tears, and I hated it.
"For God's sake!" Cru lashed out, thumping his desk. I flinched in surprise and hid in the housekeeper's arms. Sighing, she lead me to the dotted fur settee and brought out some earl grey tea. Earl grey was Cru's favourite. If anyone even touched it, he'd blow a fuse. I looked up at the woman in surprise.
"Don't worry. Think of it as an act of rebellion." She winked. Nodding miserably, I took the porcelain cup.
"I'm sorry for being such a mess. I never even caught your name." I murmured. She smiled warmly.
"Jasmine."

<y/n> could hear Jesse's voice down the corridor, a giggling female seemingly walking down with him. They said their goodbyes and went their separate ways.
"Finding love already?" <y/n> asked Jesse quietly, staring emptily at the floor. He smiled subtly, tucking a stray lock of red behind his ear.
"Not really." he replied, hanging his clothes on a rack. She made a nod of acknowledgement and remained silent. It was Jesse's turn to frown.
"You and Jasmine are getting along very well." She remarked. He questioned if she was asking out jealousy or curiosity.
"No. I would never. Jasmine is a coworker."
She made a notion of acknowledgement again.
"Are you jealous?"

"God no." <y/n> lied, shaking her head in disbelief. She missed what she had. Getting used to being alone and liking the feeling were two separate functions.
"It's just unprofessional."
"That's understandable." He smiled gently. She sighed, irritated.
"You know, I love roses. And do you know what colour rose I'd give you?" Jesse asked.

No reply.

"A white rosebud."
The woman questioned his decision.
"White rosebuds mean i'm ignorant of love." She pointed out, unamused. He worded his next words carefully.
"Well... You never seem to engage in conversation with me, and to put it bluntly, i've been flirting with you." He spoke. He looked... Distanced, but he was only an arm's length away.

"You haven't tried flirting back. All women flirt back."

She was unsure if he was complimenting her or insulting her, but his awkward wording amused her greatly.
"So you're saying i'm an idiot for not flirting back?"

He turned crimson.
"No."

She decided to tease him further.
"So you're calling me stubborn?"
"Not at all! Just--"
"Just...?"