7. The Unclear Jealousy

Not edited.

---------

Maira sensed her mother going exhausted, with all the hustling and bustling she had been doing since the time Yousuf informed them about Nazia's arrival. Her shortness of breath was so detectable. And so Maria followed her asthmatic mother, with the inhalers ready in her pouch, to remind her to use it after every few intervals.

Sharmeen was a very peculiar woman. She would go anxious and couldn't handle it even if the teeniest thing goes astray, from what she had visualised. She was raised in this distinct way, to be always keen on perfection.

"Oh Laila, the blue crockery I said. Change the pot immediately!"

She was always particular about serving dishes for the types of meals. There were separate crockery assigned already for different kinds of occasions. For their regular use, they had the regular china set and for small gatherings, a different dinner set would be put in use. But today it wasn't just a small gathering, the maroon set wouldn't suffice. Today she planned for the delicate and artistic blue set that had been shipped by her cousin from Turkey, the brand new one, to put to use.

Sharmeen did a final thorough check and garnished the dished out meal as the househelp set the table neatly. Everything that Sharmeen had gotten prepared for the dinner was especially for Nazia. She hoped that Nazia would enjoy eating her handmade Biryani and koftas. For the desserts she had quickly fixed the custard pudding. She knew it was what Nazia loved from her book of cuisine.

"Will you get them here? I don't want food to go cold." Sharmeen asked Sherry and he nodded on his way to perform the said task.

--------

"Here, here."

Nazia heard Nicky's hush voice from inside the room as she sat in the balcony adjoining it, on the rectangular swing that was broad enough for two people. The lilies adjacent to her, swayed as the air flowed. The sweetest and unique scent she had ever smelled filled in her nose. She was always fond of lilies. The pinkish and purple hued flowers were her favourite and she only fantasized about having them grow in her home. She tried too many times but the flowers from this rare species never blossomed and the saplings died as soon as she brought them home. The rarest of lilies that she loved was here at a certain stranger's home.

"Oh Yousuf! How funny you are!"

Nazia flung out of the swing hearing the certain name that was followed by a long giggle out of Nicky's mouth. She stood on her spot, out on the balcony, her gaze halting at the camaraderie shared by Nicky and Yousuf. Nicky's hand at Yousuf's shoulder, as she hit him playfully, giggling at something he might have said. That stirred something inside Nazia and she stepped inside the room.

Nicky ignored the sight of Nazia, she pulled Yousuf closer and whispered something in his ear. Witnessing the scene, some kind of uneasiness crawled up inside Nazia's senses. She felt a lump forming in her throat. She simply stayed mum with her eyes fuming wide.

A sharp twinge prominent in her heart.

Yousuf caught Nazia's stare and smiled at her softly. The longing-ness in his look was so visible. His brown eyes, deep, and cooling, instantly settled everything down that was budding inside Nazia reposing it to somewhere in the corner of her heart.

His tender gaze only invited her to walk a couple steps towards him.

----------

" Urgent. To Yousuf's room. Quick!"

Sherry was just wandering around the hallways in search of his wife and his friend, when he received a text. He had no idea why Nicky had texted him to rush to Yousuf's room.

"Nick!"

He knew she was up to something but that something was going to be at the expense of his patience, was what he didn't comprehend. Growing up in a liberal household he was used to men and women mingling at the social parties or weddings. It was the norm, people exchanging ideas, celebrating together, having no hesitation among the other genders. There was no concept of pardah for women. He had never witnessed any separate gatherings for men and women until he was married into Nicky's family.

Nicky had grown up into a completely opposite family from his'. She was the notorious one yet the boundaries she had set for herself regarding the opposite gender were the traditionalist, in the orthodox way, as he would tease her with such words when they were only engaged and she refrained him from having any private meetings.

Even during his Nikkah Ceremony he was all engulfed in frustration, the event was organised by Nicky's family and the bride and groom were separated by a huge wall. The bride's side had only women, no man was allowed to enter there. He was annoyed that even after the Nikkah was done he couldn't get a glimpse of his wife in the bridal attire that he had chosen for her. He was otherwise called a very patient person to be with, but that day he was tested with his limits as he finally got to see his wife only when they were brought to their room.

"You know what Yousuf, you should..."

And today, it seemed to him like his patience was being tested again. Nicky's hand was rested so carelessly at Yousuf's shoulder and she seemed so engrossed in their talk to even notice his presence.

Sherry was the liberal one, yet the sight made him insecure.

"Nick! You and I need to have a talk." He blurted out.

Sherry knew Yousuf always took Nicky as his younger sister, but the jealousy that panged through his heart, dragged him to walk towards them and pull his wife away.

"Now!"

"I'll be right back, Naaz."

Before texting Sherry, Nicky had predicted how he would react, and the way he did was apt to what she had imagined. She couldn't help but titter a little before suppressing it down.

Nicky was sure the notorious one. She thought a little privacy between Nazia and Yousuf might ease away the tension around Nazia and also help Yousuf in a certain way. But, having seen her prior reaction towards Yousuf, Nicky knew Nazia couldn't simply sit down alone with him in a single room, only a little drama would help it happen. The timing was also perfect, as everybody out was about to sit on the dining table.

"Take care of Naaz, Yousuf!" With this Nicky waved first and then winked at Yousuf. All the while making it obvious that it falls before her husband's eyes, clearing her way that whatever she was doing was to help the fallen couple.

--------

How did you all find the chapter?

Vote and comment.☺️

Amreen.