2. The Silent Prayers

Not edited.

------------

The moment he was craving for was there just a moment ago and it passed like it never happened. He had always thought that a single glimpse of her would be enough and he'd be content. But it wasn't like that when he finally saw her.

A minute ago as he stood before her, he hated seeing her green eyes so deep, plain and so empty, like he'd never seen them before. The soul of her eyes, the twinkling he was used to was gone.

She appeared completely different to him, so frail and dull that he regretted not checking upon her all this while. It was all his responsibility as a husband to be there for his wife and take good care of her. No matter what others said, it was his duty and he failed.

He knew there was so much she had to endure because of him but this time around the guilt trapped inside him made him vow to himself that he won't let anybody come between them and their relationship. That he won't be repeating his mistake again. And this time around he won't fail her again.

He promised to himself that he'd bring her back with those same green orbs but filled with love and care towards him. The sole reason for his existence as he believed.

There were also times when he thought of eliminating her from his agonizing thoughts as the fact that she couldn't recognise him or even remember the relation they had shared tormented him in ways that only he could understand. But could he dare spend a single day with no thought of her in it?

He loved her then and he loved her now the same, no matter how much the fate had conspired against it. And now it was the time to counter their fate and mend their ways. He knew he could do it and he firmly believed it.

"Ya Allah! Help me." Yousuf Khan prayed.

----------

"Naaz, you okay?" Was all he spoke and she didn't answer him back, maybe that was why she had been restless all this while. She thought.

Been a few days to that little encounter and yet every single night she closed her eyes, all she did see was his brown orbs, so clear, so full of concern like she felt that she really was standing before him, staring right into his eyes, asking him for something unknown.

"Can't you see me? Just look behind, please." His voice was so soft, pleading to her.

"Sshh.. come to me. Here I am." And with the words he disappeared.

She choked hard trying not to weep but failed. She could feel all the overwhelming emotions wanting to gush out of her and she sobbed like she never had. Her heart mourned over something she didn't know of. Down to her knees hiding her face in her palms, she cried her heart out almost until she was out of breath.

And then she woke up.

That one incident and the visions of that man turned into nightmares, ruining her nights and peace. She was going insane. As more days passed she found it more hard to get over that particular man.

She could still remember his face in detail. That mole at the end of his thick right brow took all the attention away. His stubble, those lips, everything about his face was so imprinted in her mind that she thought she could sketch him out with her closed eyes.

By now, it was sure to her that somehow this man was linked to her missing memories. 'That' something she was deliberately kept away from, otherwise the emotions inside her wouldn't have stirred up in this fashion.

Maybe the incident that happened was more like a clue that would help her find the missing pieces of her puzzling memories. She only needed answers to retain her sanity and she hoped she was trailing on the right path.

"Ya Allah! Help me, please" She prayed.

-----------

"I cannot believe that you did this. I'm sorry but this is not the professional behaviour I was expecting."

Nazia had no idea to whom her mother was speaking until she heard

"No Dr. Mirza, I'll arrange the best therapist for my daughter here. Thank you, but you're not needed anymore." Khirad was blunt like she had always been.

Nazia had always seen her mother as a very strong woman, who had always been straight forward and to the point kind of a person.

Being an independent woman and a single mother was not an easy task for Khirad, yet she managed it well. And that's how she picked up her tough persona and she never gave her two-cents to the society that always tried to quell her.

Not a day after her husband died, she and her unborn child were labelled as an ill omen. It sure did hurt her then, her own relatives calling out names at her and the child that was yet to be born. But she dared to look forward and dismiss all of their allegations and started her life afresh.

The society expected her live at their expense and act to their accord. Khirad couldn't just do it, for now there was also the child involved with her. She couldn't just throw her daughter into the claws of the society that thought no good of her.

She raised her daughter alone. And the mother daughter duo had only each other to call as a family, and that made Khirad as an overly protective mother. There were days when she couldn't even stand at the sight of a single scratch on her daughter, and now she's astonished at her own bravery.

She's amazed at her own self now, how she still stood straight even after witnessing such havoc in her beloved daughter's life.

--------------------------------------------

Hello!

All your votes and comments are appreciated.

Criticisms are also welcomed ;)

Amreen.