5. The Planned Encounter

Not edited.

------

Arriving at the party at her friend Nicky's behest, Nazia was all prepared to be bored, baffled and sore headed. The way Nicky spoke of the party she was sure it would be crowded, yet she believed it would somehow help her spend some time without the troubling thoughts that had been rooming inside her since recently.

"Are you sure about the venue?"

When they entered the mansion, she found the great hall to be all silent and eerie, with not a single person in sight. The grandeur of this huge mansion looked like anything but a party.

"Very sure!" With that Nicky dragged her into the parlour. There she found people but not more than two.

She was just about to greet the woman who seemingly had appeared around her mother's age, instead she found her rushing towards her, embracing her in a secure hug.

The woman gave an impression of being elegant as she was dressed up in a plain solid chiffon saree, neatly pleated and pinned. Her jewellery was minimal around her ears and neck, but expensive. And Nazia was certain that she saw the woman's eyes with a hint of moisture in them as she spoke.

"Welcome to our home, Nazia."

"You're staying for dinner." The woman declared giving no choice to Nazia to speak anything. Or to ask how she knew her name.

"I am done with all the preparations, you kids sit and chat for a while." Then she was gone with a jiff.

Nazia was still wondering how warm and welcoming that woman seemed, how for not even a second she did make her feel like any stranger in their home, when excitingly enough Nicky pulled a tall man with her arm looped into his'.

"Naaz, this is Sherry."

To Nazia, this was new, seeing her friend Nicky go in the shades of pink. She instantly recognised the person as Nicky's husband. She had already seen him in the couple's photographs that Nicky had sent her from time and again, while she was away.

"I believe we've met before but as you might know I don't..."

Nazia had just begun to speak or apologize for not remembering their previous meetings, as obviously they've met before, from what she had gathered from Nicky's talks.

Nicky, being herself had never left a chance to mention about her extravagant wedding, or how beautiful and slim, but cakey she looked at her precious day, and complained how Nazia was busy getting ready herself leaving her at the salon for a complete hour. That she would never forgive her for ignoring her on the most important day of her life.

"Come on! If there's anything you should know, it's just that I am forever indebted to you. To make this happen."

Sherry finished off giving a side hug to his wife. A gesture to indicate that his wife was by his side and the reason was Nazia. His words only added to the puddle of her baffling thoughts.

---------

"You sure you call this a party?"

"Didn't I already tell you it's going to be a boring party."

"Nicky, a party is where you have people around."

Faking a smile at her friend, Nazia tried filling some sense inside her friend's mind.

"Here there's barely people! Only your husband and that woman!" Nazia whisper-yelled, being careful that only Nicky could hear it.

"How can you call this a party?"