Chapter 4

"You just missed Neal," Mary Margaret said as Emma went to the closet and took off her dress and changed into a nightgown.

Mary Margaret was Emma's closest friend. She came to work on The Jewel of the Realm a little bit after Emma had. Mary Margaret was married to David Nolan, another employee on the ship. He was closer to Gold, so he got paid more because of his ranking. David had a cabin in the first class section, just like Killian. Mary Margaret and David let Emma stay over whenever she wanted, which wasn't too often. She didn't want to feel like a nuisance.

"Thank God. I wasn't ready to tell him why I wasn't here."

"You'll have to tell him tomorrow whenever you see him. But, forget about him. How was your date?"

Emma couldn't help but smile. "We ate and then walked around on the deck for awhile. When I started to get cold, he gave me his jacket! He was so sweet!"

Mary Margaret squealed, "that's so adorable!"

"But, he is engaged."

"What?"

"Well his parents are forcing him to marry a woman he has never met."

"Then I guess this is just a fling?"

Emma sat down on her bed and looked at her hands in her lap. "Yeah, it is."

"It will be alright. I'm sure something will come up and you two can be together."

"Me too." She laid down and stared at the ceiling. "I really like him, and he told me that he likes me too."

"The beginning stages of true love," Mary Margaret said and clapped her hands together. "It really is an amazing thing. Well, I'm off to bed. You sure you want to sleep here?"

"I'm sure. Thanks though," Emma whispered before turning over on her side and drifting off to sleep.

The next morning, she woke up and got dressed in her maid uniform. As she opened the door, she was met by Neal. "Why were you out so late?" He asked her.

"Does it really matter? At least I'm up and ready to get to work," she said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Yeah it does matter. Now answer me."

She sighed, "I was on a date with Killian."

"Killian? Oh, Mr. Jones. You shouldn't get your hopes up, Emma. All he's going to do is break your heart."

"I'll be the judge of that," she said and pushed past him so she could get into the hallway.

She took old towels and linens from the rooms and replaced them for the next our or two. Each room that she visited, she never made eye contact like she was supposed to. As she made her way to Killian's room, she felt eyes already on her. She looked up and Neal was at the end of the hallway, a few doors down from Killian's room. She knew she would have to follow the rules here too.

She knocked on the door, and a few seconds later, he opened it. Her eyes were avoiding his as she said, "Mr. Jones, do you need extra towels?"

"Emma, you don't have to speak to me like that. Look me in the eyes," he demanded. She glanced up at him and gave him a look that said, 'I have to do this.' "No." His good mood turned into a bad one. He scooted past her and into the hallway, and saw Neal standing there with his arms crossed over his chest, giving Killian a challenging smile.

"Just making sure the maid does her job correctly," Neal explained.

"Look, I want Emma to treat me like she would if I was one of her friends. I want her to look me in the eyes and speak to me in other means of a question, or replying if I talk to her. If she doesn't do this, I'll sue you and this bloody ship, and everyone and everything on it is mine. Am I clear, Mr. Cassidy?"

A look of fear washed over Neal's face but he nodded. "Yes, Sir." He walked down the steps and to another floor.

Emma glanced up at Killian with a wide smile on her face. She wrapped her arms around him and nuzzled her face into his neck. "That was amazing!" She exclaimed excitedly. "I've never seen him so scared before!"

"Well, he should be scared. I'm serious." He wrapped his arm around her waist and tugged her inside his cabin. "Good morning, love."

She giggled as he kissed her sweetly. "Morning," she said as soon as they pulled away.

"You look beautiful in your attire." He pulled away from her and grabbed the handles of the cart that was sitting in the next room. He wheeled it out and took the covers off of the plates. "I ordered us breakfast."

She smiled and sat down on the couch and he handed the plate to her. "Thank you."

"Anytime, love."

"So, I was thinking about last night. What are we?"

"We can be whatever you want to be."

She huffed. "That doesn't answer my question."

"Well, I was actually thinking that we were boyfriend and girlfriend. I really like you, Emma."

"But what about your fianceé?"

"I'm not going to marry her. I wasn't going to from the beginning. I want to marry for love, not because my parents force me to."

"So what we have, it isn't a fling?"

He put his food onto the coffee table and grabbed her hands. "Of course not! If you tell me you don't want to see where this goes, you won't have to see me ever again once the ship docks again. But if you do, look me in the eyes and tell me you want this. Cause that's what I'm doing with you." His blue eyes shone with love. "I want this."

"I do too." She put her food next to his and kissed him softly. The kiss grew until she was straddling him. They broke for air and she climbed off of him. "I have to go."

He scrambled to grab her hand. "No. Don't leave me."

"I'd love to stay. You know that, but I really really have to go. I'll see you tonight."

He kissed her hand and nodded. "I hope so."