FOUR - United We Stand

* * *

The Upper City

Day 95 Quarter 02 Year 217

ICARUS

* * *

Two hours before

Senator Maeda's announcement has turned the whole bloody America into a frenzy.

Icarus had been sitting at the rooftop of the Quantum Quarters—where the General and the rest of the Arlite Council lives—watching the whole city landscape before him. Down below, the streets had been filled with people in their hover-cycles and their cars; and just after an air glider swooped past him, the gigantic screens that hung on the city's skyscrapers lit up with the same strobe of lights, bearing the face that his father had come to dislike:

Senator Mars Maeda.

Icarus staggered a step back, confused as to why he suddenly turned up. To get broadcasted using the city's screens, was to deliver news as big as the whole United States of America. It is not an unusual occasion for his father to be broadcasted on the screen, yes, but a senator?

Everybody was seeing this. Everybody, stretching as far as the rubbles of New York and the scattered civilizations in Florida. This was broadcasting nationwide, that he knew.

"People of California, every single Arlite and every single Humane," —Maeda swooped his eyes on every camera there is in front of him—"I speak to you."

What game are you playing this time, Maeda? Icarus thought to himself. He knew that the Senator thrived off of two things only: power and money.

"We are five days well into the second quarter of this year: day ninety-five." The city's noise died down as he spoke, as if everyone was straining to hear what he has to say. "We all know what'll happen when Third Quarter strikes." A pause. "The election of your thirty-second General."

Oh, no.

By then, every traffic light in the Upper City signaled out a red color, stopping cars in their tracks, even the bullet trains. The whole city was at a stand-still, as if someone had pressed the pause button on the remote that controlled the whole city.

"I stand here in front of you all today, to tell you this." His voice dropped down dramatically. "I implore that you give me this opportunity once again. The opportunity to lead our country for the second time."

The General's son started shaking his head in realization."No, no, no—"

"I am announcing my candidacy to be the thirty-second General of all thirty-three states of America."

The collective gasps below were so loud that even Icarus can hear it from high ground.

Mars Maeda smiling all-knowingly at his audience, as if he knew that this was going to be their reaction. No other former General had wanted to try running for the title once again. This alone proved how much of a greedy person he was.

"I hope that you still have your faith in me," he continued. "And remember, united we stand?"

"Divided we fall."

Everyone enunciated the syllables together, sounding so monotonous and rehearsed, like a robot that was told to do the same command over and over. Hesitation laced the tones of their words.

The Senator smiled in satisfaction. He stepped down from the podium, and the collective rounds of camera flashes resumed, as the ever-infamous media strived to get the best shots for their articles later on.