smile

Chapter Three

Kim Jinhwan

I looked at the picture of my family and smiled. I grabbed my baby picture and set it down. "Cute." I cooed at myself.

Let me give you a little background story

Let me give you a little background story. My parents met while my dad went on vacation in Jeju City. They fell in love and obviously did what I don't want to talk about. Then dad went back to China, not thinking much of it. Then when mom found out she was pregnant she reached out to him. They ended up getting married, then when I was born they raised me up proudly as the heir of my dad's insurance company.

And as wonderful as that sounds, it's not what I want. I want to be free and youthful while I still can. Not stuck in some big office in China. But recently my father has been ill and unable to run the business. And right now my cousins are fighting for the new spot of CEO and guess who was caught in the crossfire. Me.

So I guess you can say that I ran away to Seoul. Not that I don't care about my father. I'd just rather leave that life behind and build my own. He can give that job to my cousins for all I care. Also, he doesn't know I'm gay, but that's not the problem.

I went to the couch and jumped on it, laying down and sighing. I miss the company though, it's so lonely here. Oh well, since my father is in stable condition now I probably won't have to take over in a while. I turned on the TV and Dora the Explorer was on. "What the fuck?"

Change. Change. Change. I kept repeating every channel I saw. There really is nothing to do after work. I looked up to the ceiling. What if I find love in Korea since I'll be here for a while? Nah." I went back to the TV then my eyes slowly traveled to my phone. "Okay, it's hopeless."

I turned off the TV and went on my phone. A new dating app... What can go wrong? "Hm... Preferences? Tall, no kids, 22-27."

After swiping for a while I stopped at a certain face. "Holy shit! That's the hottie from the café."

"