Chapter 5

Who would she attend first? Lauren was stuck, her wife's student or the unconscious sixteen year old, with her mother by her side? She just decided to do both at the same time. She could handle the pressure right?

"Okay hook up the monitor, get me a CBC, EKG, check liver enzymes, prepare for intubation, and get a social worker in here STAT." Lauren told all the people in trauma two, then made her way to trauma one.

"Okay turn him on his side just in case he seizes again. Make sure he's stable then transfer him upstairs and Camila go with him."

She exited the room and was met with the crying mother, "Is my daughter going to be okay?"

"Ma'am I know you're scared right now but I need you to step outside and wait in the waiting room." Lauren told her, "We'll handle it and I'll update you on her condition soon."

The mother nodded and a nurse escorted her to the waiting room while telling her it was going to be okay.

"Doctor she's coding!" A nurse yelled from trauma two.

"Get a crash cart now!"

_

"Hey Andrew, I need to ask you some questions. Is that okay with you?" Lauren asked the trumpet player.

The boy nodded his head and slightly sat up on the hospital bed.

"Okay, have you had any seizures before?"

"No, this is the first time."

"Do you feel a headache, feel weak, or have sore muscles?"

"Yes."

"Where exactly do you think the headache is coming from?"

Andrew touched the left side of his head, right beside his temple. With that, Lauren got everything she needed and then headed out to find Dinah.

"Call Radiology and tell them to get me a head CT, this kid may have a tumor."

After giving Dinah instructions, she went back to the room to call her wife. Camila wasn't alright and it was very obvious to Lauren. She knew how much her students mean to her and that she'd be devastated if something bad happened to them. That's why if she was right about the tumor, he would be put into surgery as soon as possible.

"What's wrong with him Laur? I know you have an idea by now." Camila asked her wife as she held back tears.

The doctor sighed, not knowing how to tell her without breaking her a bit, "After an analysis of his symptoms, and asking him questions, I've come to the conclusion that he may have a mass in his brain."

"So a tumor?"

"Yes a tumor. I sent Dinah to get the CT ready for him. We'll have results in an hour or so."

Camila nodded her head, but now had tears running down her cheeks. Lauren wiped them off with her thumb and then hugged her wife. She hated seeing her hurt, it made her hurt too.

"It's going to be okay babe, it's most likely on his left temporal lobe. It'll be a easy surgery." She tried to calm her wife which began to work because she was beginning to breathe in a regular pattern.