Purple Tinted Darkness (29)

When I wake the next morning, I still have quite a bit of time before I have to be ready to go to training again. I lie in bed for a while before forcing myself into the wretched cold of my room. Grabbing a white robe from beside my bed, I cover my thin pajamas and walk over to my closet.

Running my hands along my packed wardrobe, I pick out another latex suit- those are very popular here. This one is black- shocking!- and has a low neckline and no sleeves. It's more risque than my completely-covering suit yesterday, but I did get a bit hot in that last one, so I figure a bit less material will be good.

I tear off my cloths and put the suit on in a struggle- latex is tough to get on. I pick out some lace up black boots from the bottom of the closet and tie them around my leg. Grabbing a brush from my tableside, I strut over to my mirror and run it through my blonde hair.

My green eyes are brighter than usual, I notice. Paired with my light hair and young looking face, I look much too innocent and sweet to be a fighter. My outfit does help with not looking too cute and girly. I have a bit of cleavage- I recently matured a bit in that area, and, paired with a good bra, I can have a little danger there. I'm not sure if it makes me feel uncomfortable or sexy and confident.

If only I could do something to myself to make me feel dangerous all over, I think.

And then I wonder if there is a hair salon here. Maybe I could darken my hair- that would probably look amazing.

Just as the thought enters my mind, I hear the door open and Nathalie come in, forgetting to knock, of course. "Hi!" She exclaims, "You look so much better!"

I smile at her. She's dressed in black, ripped skinny jeans and a dark tee shirt. Her dark brown hair is wavy and long, and she looks happier than usual. "I feel better too. You look happy- what's up with that?"

"What? Am I usually just a ball of depression?" She falls back onto my bed and watches me standing in front of the mirror.

"You just look happier than usual," I defend after I realize she was only half joking.

"Okay, well, Al and I have starting trying for a baby and I'm so excited. I mean, I know we're young but it's a little kid- like a mini Al!" She squeals and I giggle, running my hands through my hair.

"Well I hope it works out. By the way, are you doing anything today?" I ask.

She shakes her head, "Why?"

"Is there a hair salon here?"

"I believe so. Do you want to go?"

"Yeah," I admit, "I want to dye my hair black or something."

"Oh! That would be so gorgeous! Wait but, don't you have training?"

"I can postpone it a few hours," I shrug. I search through some drawers until I find a pen and pad of paper. I write a note telling Blaze that I will be late. I'm sure he will understand.

Nathalie and I leave to find the salon. We have to ask an older woman about where to go along the way, but we eventually make it there.

"Oh wait, I just remembered. I don't have any money," I point out as we stand in front of the salon. It's on the inside of the building, like a shop in a mall.

"Oh- I have some. And I'm sure you have some from your second mother and plain old fundings from the Resistance, since you are such a big deal," She says it nicely enough, but I hear a hint of jealously laced in her tone. I hope she realizes that being so important is harder than it looks. It's sometimes easier just to be at the sidelines.