THREE - Eyes on Fire

Start from the beginning

"What?" She tried to hoist herself up, but she grimaced when she felt the pain in her back.

"What's your name, young lady?"

She blinked off the stars in her eyes. "Uh, Kalista. Kalista Young. My parents are Elizabeth and Kaleb, and my brother's name is Elias."

The General nodded, sitting down at the empty chair next to her bed. His posture didn't insinuate formality. If anything, he looked like any non-politician Arlite, laid-back and relaxed. "Kalista," he repeated. "I just want to extend my gratitude to you for saving me two days ago."

Two days ago? I've been out for forty-eight hours?

"Don't thank me, sir," she said meekly.

"Why did you save me?"

She shrugged. "My father told me once that you were our hope. That the Council's just in your way."

He nodded slowly, a faraway look in his eyes. "Look, if there's anything I could do to pay you back—"

"I could think of billions of things."

He let out a hearty laugh. "Give me the details then in a few hours? I have to meet the Council in half an hour," he announced, standing up from his chair. "I'll be giving out order to let your family in now."

She nodded. "Thank you."

"No. Thank you, Ms. Young," he replied. Lennox opened the door for him.

"I really do hope you'll assess your decisions more, General Lane," She called after him. "It was very stupid of you to come out and expose yourself, without any body protection."

He chuckled. "I was, wasn't I?" He asked. "But I was hoping that that could get the Humanes to trust me more."

She knitted her eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because, Ms. Young, before someone tried to kill me, I was about to announce my candidacy for the next elections."

He left then without saying another word.

She didn't know what to make about the General's decision. Even if the Humanes didn't want to admit it, he'd done more in seven years than any General of the United States.

What if the Council is trying to get in his way?

The whispers resumed inside her head. There were cries, there were orders, small talks, formal conversations. It was like she could hear everyone, not quite talking to her, but it seemed like she was part of all their conversations.

She closed her eyes as hard as she can. Shut up, shut up, shut up!

The door opened, and she instantly opened her eyes, seeing Lennox' face once again. "You have visitors, Ms. Young."

Her mother then peered in, tears streaming down her face. Something warm spilled inside Kalista's heart. "Oh, baby," Elizabeth cried, kissing her cheek and stroking her hair. "How are you? Does it hurt?"

"Oh, she's fine, Liz. Look at her!" Kaleb said, lightening up the mood.

Kalista looked past her mother's shoulders. She saw her father, relieved and smiling. He held her hand in a tight squeeze.

"Where's Eli?" She asked them.

"Right over here, kiddo."

Her head snapped towards the direction of the voice, her face lighting up. "Eli," she whispered, grinning from ear to ear. Her face turned into a frown when she saw that he was in a wheelchair. "What happened to your leg?"