Chapter 8

"Cake testing tomorrow, and we're meeting with the florist," Jackie said, scrolling through the calendar on her phone. "I'll be over bright and early." 

Kate smiled. "I couldn't do it without you, maid of honor."

"It's my pleasure, Your Majesty," Jackie said solemnly, dropping into a curtsey. She was at Kate and Will's Kensington Palace apartment, the couple's temporary pre-wedding home. It was essentially royal-wedding-central, planners and designers running in and out all day. Jackie felt as though she was beginning to spend half of her time there as the wedding neared closer.

"Well, I'm heading out," Jackie said, slinging her purse over her shoulder. 

"Wait!" Kate called. "Will's going to be back any minute, why don't you hang around for a bit?"

It had been a week since Jackie and Kate talked about giving Harry a second chance, but Jackie still hadn't gotten the chance to talk to him. She could see right through Kate's "hang around till William gets back."

"Ha, ha, ha," Jackie groaned, headed for the door. "I'll be over tomorrow, maybe the stars will align." 

Just as Jackie reached for the door, the handle was pulled from her hand. William practically knocked her over, busting inside with a bag of Chinese food in hand. "Oh- Jackie!" he said, overly loud. 

Jackie raised a brow, matching his tone. "William!"

Harry appeared behind William almost immediately, his eyes hopeful. "Hi Jackie."

Jackie chewed her cheek to avoid smiling. "Hi Harry."

William dropped the food on the kitchen counter. "You two want to stay and eat? I have enough for all of us. I got your favorite, Jackie, broccoli chicken."

Jackie shot Kate a look. Her friend only smiled. "Yeah, stay guys, we don't want any leftovers."

Harry watched Jackie as she said, "Oh, alright."

The four friends stood around the kitchen and ate their Chinese. Kate played some music, Ellie Goulding, who had signed on to play at the wedding reception in April. It felt like the old days, and Jackie couldn't help but to long for those times again.

After they were done and the mess was cleaned up, Jackie waved to her friends. "I'm headed out, then. See you tomorrow."

As she left Kate and Will's apartment, Jackie felt disappointed. She'd had fun, but didn't get the chance for some alone time with Harry. Maybe next time.

Jackie's chance came sooner than she thought. She hadn't gotten half way down the long palace hall from the apartment when she heard the door open and close behind her. Jackie turned to see Harry jogging towards her. Her mouth curved into a smile as he approached, a bit out of breath. 

"Can we talk for a minute?" Harry asked.

Jackie nodded. "Sure."

"Come with me," Harry said, leading the way into the darkened halls of Kensington Palace. They rounded a corner and Harry stopped in front of one of the apartment doors, 1D. 

"I thought you lived in Clarence House," Jackie commented as Harry unlocked the door.

"I'm moving up," he said, wiggling his eyebrows as he flipped the lights on. 1D wasn't nearly as big as Will and Kate's 1B, but still fit the description of royal apartment. It was professionally furnished, she could tell right away by the silk curtains and ornate rugs. However, it still had hints of Harry. A slightly sloppy kitchen, scraps of paper on every free surface, and photos of himself, William, Diana, and Charles in frames around the place. As Jackie was leaning over a table near the door, admiring his family pictures, she saw a familiar face. 

It was a photo from about 2005, from a trip the four of them took to the Alps. They were young, bundled in ski gear with their faces hidden behind polarized goggles and scarves. She recognized herself immediately, though, wearing one of her favorite black skiing jacket and a purple scarf. They'd stayed in an incredible lodge up in the mountains, spending the days skiing and the nights in the hot tub. In the photo Will and Kate were posed in typical Will and Kate fashion, their arms around each other's shoulders, smiling broadly. She and Harry, on the other hand, were bear hugging each other, Jackie's leg up around his waist, her ski sticking out at an odd angle. Jackie never realized how much she missed the feeling of his arms wrapped around her.

"You want anything to drink? Coffee or something?" Harry asked from the kitchen. 

"No thanks," Jackie called, pulling herself away from the photo. She settled down on the couch, where Harry soon joined her. "So."

"I never got the chance to say how sorry I am about what happened," Harry began, looking her in the eyes. Jackie's chest tightened, the way it always did when she felt like she was going to cry. 

"So am I," Jackie said quietly. 

Harry shook his head. "No, you don't have anything to be sorry about. Everything was my fault."

Jackie smiled. "It takes two."

"But it doesn't," Harry insisted. "I was so immature, I wish I could punch myself back then. I just can't believe I treated you like that." 

Jackie's heart clenched as Harry's voice cracked. "I have always wondered why."

Harry didn't look at her as he said, "A few weeks before we broke up, my grandmother called me to her office." Jackie frowned as he continued. "She told me the two of us had been dating long enough, and I needed to make a decision. She said I either needed to marry you or end it."

Jackie felt tears well in her eyes. In 2008 they were just 25 and 24. There was no way Harry would have committed to marrying her back then. Neither one of them were ready. 

Harry continued. "You know I loved you, I still do, but I wasn't ready to get married. I think my Gran figured I would just propose, she knew how I felt about you. She said I needed to get serious, that there was a chance I could be King someday, and I shouldn't be messing around."

Jackie didn't need to say anything. His story made sense. Harry must have panicked at the thought of having to marry so young and gone wild. It explained all his drunken nights out, choosing his friends over her. It didn't heal the pain he had caused her, but finally knowing why Harry had treated her that way brought Jackie peace. 

She cried silently as he said, "I regretted it immediately. I called and called, but you didn't answer, so I gave up. That was the biggest mistake of my life, I should have gone to your apartment, climbed up the balcony or something, anything to get you back."

Jackie let out a teary laugh. "You did what you had to do."

"No, I should have married you when I had the chance," Harry said softly. 

Jackie's heart skipped a beat. "No," she objected, "Even if you'd proposed, we never would have gone through with it. We were too young, you wouldn't have been happy." 

"That's not true," Harry said. "I'm happiest when I'm with you."

Jackie let out a sob, a mix of relief and grief for what could have been. Harry pulled her into a hug. She didn't return it, but relished the feeling of being close to him again. She let her head rest against his neck until he let go, wrapping his hands around her arms and looking her in the eyes. "I know you can never forgive me for what I did to you, and I won't forgive myself either, but I'll do anything, Jackie, anything. I need you."

Jackie put a hand on Harry's face. "I forgive you, really. And I'm sorry I've been so immature about it, with Dr. Ted and all."

"Wait, Dr. Ted was just to make me jealous?" Harry asked, pretending to be surprised.

Jackie giggled, wiping at her tears. "Shut up, don't be mean to my boyfriend."

Harry's eyes were hopeful. "Do you have room for one more?"

Jackie smiled softly. "Not yet. But soon."