Chapter 4

"What sort of silhouette did you have in mind?" Sarah asked. 

Kate shuffled through some bridal magazine clippings. "I was thinking A-line. Obviously with sleeves, it has to be conservative."

Jackie had accompanied Kate to her first dress appointment with Sarah Burton, a dress designer from Alexander McQueen. Sarah would be personally creating both Kate's wedding gown and Jackie's dress. Kate had scoured over about a hundred bridal magazines for inspiration on shapes and materials. Of course, the dress had to be fit for a princess- which meant it must be as grand as it was conservative. The future wife of the future monarch couldn't flounce down the aisle in a low cut sausage casing. 

"I was thinking we could have a bit of a V-neck, just to add a bit of modernity," Sarah said, sketching on a pad as she spoke. "Lace bodice, full skirt, sleeves..." 

Jackie grinned at Kate. They sat in silence for a moment as Sarah finished up her drawing. The designer held the pad up with a triumphant smile. 

"I love it!" Jackie exclaimed. The drawing was absolutely perfect. She could already tell it would compliment Kate's long, slim figure. "Add a veil and tiara and it'll be perfect." 

"The Queen offered me the Lotus Tiara," Kate said, pulling up a picture on her phone. Jackie and Sarah oohed and ahhed at the diamond-covered tiara. "I think it'll look perfect with the dress." 

"Have you thought of what you'd like for Jackie?" Sarah asked Kate. 

Kate nodded and smiled at Jackie. "Well, I know she's been working out a lot, especially squats, so I'd like something to show off her bum a bit."

Jackie blushed and let out a laugh. "Oh, please." Kate had always been much smaller than Jackie, who, despite being fairly athletic, had some curves. Of course it was Kate's day, but Jackie would also be walking down the aisle in front of hundreds of guests and a television audience of millions. She wanted to look her best. 

"No, really!" Kate insisted. "The maid of honor is allowed to look a little racy. I'd like it to be form fitting, but not too tight, and full length."

"We could add some short sleeves and a cowl neckline, you have very small shoulders so it won't make you look too broad, but it'll make it a bit more conservative," Sarah said, immediately beginning to sketch again.

"Do you want to add anything?" Kate asked Jackie. 

"Could you do buttons down the back? I love how that looks."

"Ooh, that would be beautiful," Kate agreed. 

Sarah held up a sketch. Jackie grinned. The drawing was beautiful, and was better than she could have imagined. "I love it," Jackie and Kate said in unison. 

Sarah and her staff took some measurements and made a few last minute adjustments to the sketches. Kate took a picture to send to Carole, who couldn't make the appointment because of a business meeting. "As long as we get my mum's approval I think these will be perfect."

Jackie laughed. "Forget about the Queen, Carole's the one we've got to impress."

After getting Carole's excited stamp of approval, the women thanked Sarah and her staff before heading out the fire exit and climbing into Jackie's Jetta, which was parked in a small alleyway next to Sarah's London office. Kate wanted to keep every detail of her dress a secret, so everyone, even the cleaning staff, at Sarah's office had to sign a privacy waiver. Luckily, Jackie and Kate hadn't been followed by paparazzi, so they decided to go to a nearby cafe for lunch. 

The women were seated at a table at the back of the restaurant per their request, and both ordered garden salads and tea. They chatted about venues, the Queen had sent Kate and William a suggestion list of about 5 churches. "Westminster is definitely our favorite."

"Oh, definitely. If it was me that's what I would pick," Jackie said. She felt a tightening in her chest as she remembered imagining her own wedding to Harry taking place at Westminster Abbey while they were together.

Kate took a sip of her tea. "Charles wants to throw us an engagement party at Clarence House, he says he'd like you to help him."

Jackie brightened up. "I'd love to."

"I'll give you his office number so you can set up a meeting," Kate said. She leaned forward, lowering her voice. "Just please make sure he doesn't make it Scottish themed, I know he loves kilts." 

Jackie giggled. "Got it, no plaid."