Chapter 9

"Listen," Jackie whispered, leaning into the window.

She and Kate held their breath, and the sounds of celebration from the streets below echoed through the glass.

"Can you believe it?" Jackie asked, grinning at her friend. "People are throwing watch parties for your wedding."

"Who would have thought." Kate smiled dreamily. "None of it seems real."

"You're going to be a Duchess tomorrow- and a Queen someday," Jackie breathed. Never in a million years would she have imagined she would be taking part in the wedding of the century. Kate and Will would be married in Westminster Abbey in less than 12 hours. The famous glass-topped Rolls Royce would arrive at the Goring Hotel, where Kate, Jackie, and Carole Middleton were staying, at exactly 10:52 the next morning before heading to the Abbey.

"I don't know if I'll be able to sleep," Kate gushed. "I'm so excited."

Jackie had Kate stand in front of the window of the hotel, snapping a photo that captured some of the crowd on the night street. "This is a historic moment," Jackie added. "Children are going to have to learn your anniversary in school some day."

Kate grinned. "Maybe yours, too."

Jackie shook her head and smiled. "Let's focus on you first."

"Oh, come on," Kate urged. "Take my mind off of things."

Jackie sighed. "Fine. Nothing's happened yet, and I told him that night we talked in December that I would consider us getting back together."

"Well, it's April, have you thought about it?" Kate asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

Jackie laughed. "Yes."

"Jackie!" Kate protested, digging for more details.

"I'm going to take him back," Jackie mumbled, trying to force back a smile.

Kate practically squealed with joy, throwing her arms around Jackie. "I'm so happy!"

"So am I," Jackie admitted. "We've been spending lots of time together, as friends, and something about the wedding is making me feel extra romantic. I'll tell him tomorrow," she promised.

---

The roar of the crowd was almost deafening as Jackie stood on the steps of Westminster Abbey. People had been pressed against the barricades all night, all craning their necks for a glimpse of the bride. It was 10:59, Kate and her father had left the Goring Hotel 7 minutes ago, and should be arriving at any second.

As if on cue, a wave of sound hit Jackie. She could practically feel the ground vibrating as the most anticipated car pulled up to the curb. She stepped carefully down the stone steps of the Abbey, beaming at the sight of Kate and Michael tucked in the back seat of the Rolls Royce. Kate looked absolutely incredible in her Alexander McQueen gown, and her glowing smile radiated from behind her veil.

Kate stepped out, reaching for Jackie's out-streched hand. "You look so beautiful," Jackie whispered.

Kate grinned. "So do you."

Jackie straightened out Kate's train and grabbed ahold of the silk handles under the hem before they proceeded up the steps and into the Abbey. The crowd continued to roar even as they got inside, Kate and Michael speaking to the Archbishop of Canterbury and Jackie working with one of the organizers to straighten Kate's dress and veil to perfection.

The sea of voices inside the Abbey quieted as the boy's choir began to sing the hymn Will and Kate had selected for her walk down the aisle. Jackie took the hands of the two youngest bridesmaids, Grace Van Custem and Eliza Lopes. A few moments after the clergy and Kate and Michael set off, Jackie and the bridal party followed.