Chapter 5

"The bar is stocked, right?" Jackie asked, peeking over the counter.

The bartender nodded. "We've got it all."

Jackie smiled. "Alright, let me know if you need me to run out and get anything."

"Thanks, Jackie."

Jackie did another scan of the Clarence House ballroom, where the finishing touches were being added for Kate and Will's engagement party. Per Kate's request, there wasn't any plaid, only minimal, tasteful decorations around the stunning ballroom. Tables were arranged around a dance floor, and a wet bar had been set up in the corner. Will and Kate's favorite London restaurant was catering, and Jackie had hired a great DJ.

She was headed for the door when Prince Charles poked his head in. William and Harry's father was wearing a sweater and slacks, his usual casual wear. "You'd better get into your Sunday best!" Jackie teased.

Charles beamed. "It looks wonderful in here, dear. I couldn't have done it without you."

"Well I'm glad I could help. I know Kate really appreciates you putting all this together," Jackie said. She and Charles had spent lots of time together over the years since she had known his sons, especially when she and Harry were dating. Despite what many people thought, he was a kind and caring man who genuinely loved his sons.

Charles reached into the pocket of his slacks, pulling out a black velvet box. He held it out to Jackie. "I wanted to get you something to say thanks for all your hard work with the engagement party."

"You didn't have to do that," Jackie said, taking the box. She snapped it open and revealed a beautiful pearl bracelet. "My goodness, it's beautiful! But I can't accept this!"

"I insist," Charles said with a smile. "You can wear it to the party tonight."

Jackie held the box to her chest. "I love it, thank you." Jackie had always loved pearl jewelry, even in University. Harry had given her a pearl necklace and earrings for her graduation, and the new bracelet was a perfect addition to her set. She had feeling Prince Charles knew that, too. He'd always loved Jackie and Harry as a couple, saying they brought out the best in each other.

Charles's eyes sparkled. "No, dear, thank you."

---

"It's a great party, Jackie!" Princess Beatrice gushed. "You'll have to plan my birthday party next year."

Jackie laughed. "Sorry, I'm a one-hit-wonder." 

Jackie had befriended just about every member of the royal family in her years as Harry's girlfriend. She was especially close to Beatrice, Eugenie, and Zara, Harry's cousins. Though they hadn't seen each other as much in recent years, they had gotten together for nights out a few times a year. After almost 7 years together, Jackie felt just as much a member of Harry's family as he was.

"Did you find a dress yet?" Eugenie asked, taking a sip of her champagne. 

"Kate and I just looked at sketches two weeks ago. We have fittings soon," Jackie said. "I can't wait." 

"I can't wait to see it! You're going to look beautiful." 

"Thanks," Jackie answered, a bit absentmindedly. Her eyes had been searching the room since the party started, keeping a lookout for a certain best man. She wasn't in the mood at all to speak to him, and hoped, by the grace of god, that she would be able to dodge him all night. With no Harry in sight, Jackie took a long drink of her cocktail. 

"I love that yellow dress," Beatrice added, touching the peplum waist of Jackie's brand new dress. "It really makes you stand out." 

Jackie grinned, but cursed herself inside. She should have worn black, or a paper bag over her head, so she could blend in.