a car a torch a death

I began to understand why God died.

May 22nd, 2014

--Kiva's P.O.V--

Watching Tyler leave was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my lifetime. However, I knew that he was doing what he loved and what made him happy. I also knew that he loved me and was coming back no matter what happened. That thought was what got me through the day most of the time.

Much to Tyler and Josh's dismay, they weren't able to graduate with their senior class due to a bunch of record label meetings after the tour ended. However, they both did graduate with academic honors and I was extremely proud.

I was only concerned about one thing.

Ever since Tyler had come back from the Vessel tour, he seemed different. He was acting differently, even Josh and his family noticed the change, but they were all too scared to bring the subject up to him. Luckily, I wasn't. I didn't care if Tyler felt uncomfortable with my questions, I needed to know what was bothering him and see if I was able to help in any way.

When I brought the subject of his behavior up, he shrugged it off like it wasn't that big of a deal. He insisted that the touring had taken a lot out of him and he was just trying to recover and get used to being at home again. Tyler had always been a terrible liar, but I let the matter go, thinking that he would tell me everything when he was ready. Of course, he would probably just keep everything bottled up inside of himself.

I pulled open the front door of his house and stepped inside, heading towards the kitchen where I heard a noise. I wasn't surprised to see Zack raiding through the cabinets.

"Kiva, can you tell me why this house has no Lucky Charms?" He asked, not even turning to look in my direction. "Mom always says that she'll buy some at the store, but whenever I want a bowl, we don't have any!"

I rolled my eyes at Zack's obsession with the familiar cereal. "Zack, you have three siblings. They probably ate the whole box already." I glanced around the kitchen, noting the rest of the house seemed abnormally quiet. "Speaking of your siblings, the house seems very quiet today."

Zack sighed, finally turning away from the cabinet. "That's because Mom and Dad have taken Jay to watch Madison's basketball game. Neither Tyler nor I had any desire to attend."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "So where this your older brother? Up in his room, I'm guessing?"

"Yep," Zack responded. "He came downstairs like twenty minutes ago to get something to eat, but he didn't say one word to anyone. After he finished eating, he went right upstairs and locked himself in his room. I haven't heard a peep from him ever since."

He flashed me a look of concern. "Try to get him to talk about what's bothering him again, Kiva. He needs to talk to someone and I know that he trusts you wholeheartedly, so please try again."

"I will, but I can't make any promises that he won't lie to me again."

"Just try to make him feel better."

I nodded. "Alright, Zack. Good luck finding something to satisfy your hunger."

He stuck his tongue out at me as I started up the staircase.

The upstairs of the Joseph household felt strange and eerie. Every room was dark aside from Zack's which was lit up by a desk lamp. Tyler's room was the only one with the door shut, but that wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The abnormal thing was that I heard nothing coming from his room. Usually, his television was on full blast, but today it wasn't.